How to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jnardis, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

So I went into an Apple store yesterday to play around with the Iphone 4 and it just so happned the store I was in had the phone in stock. After playing with it for about 20 min I decided to purchase one. I was obviously all excited on my drive home. Once I get there and plug in my phone into my Macbook I get an error saying my operatin system needs to be version 10.5.8 or higher. I'm currently running 10.4.11. So now I have to update my software which Apple said would cost me $169 (I don't feel like spending that cash so I will be returning the phone today). As far as the antenna problem, I had my 3gs and 4g side by side all night and morning. The 3gs definitely has more bars in almost all locations. With that said I never had a dropped calls or no service to make a call with either phone. The bars on the 4G fluctuate A LOT more than the 3gs but it still does the job. The build week is 30 on the Iphone4 and when I touch the bottom left corner I do lose 1 to 2 bars right away. This message is in no means trying to bash the iphone4, it's just simply an update for those guys/girls that are still on the fence on purchasing one.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Some others can chime in, but I thought an update of the Mac OS was around $39 or so. Certainly nowhere near $169.

3. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was going to do some research today on that. I saw some posts saying I can update for $29 bucks, but Apple said that would work and I would need to get the Box set for $169. I woudln't mind spending 29 or even 39 bucks, but I don't feel like spending 170 on an old computer. Any help would be much appreciated.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

No offense - but you might want to change your topic header. The way it's listed now (and I'm guilty of the assumption) looks like yet another thread about a revision the the iPhone 4.

So you might garner more responses if the subject line was more in line with what you're asking

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It was $29 for upgrading from Leopard, sorry. IDK about Tiger, since I did a brief look and didn't see anything.

6. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done, sorry about that...

7. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for checking. I'm not too familiar with Apple. What are the versions: Tiger, Leopard ??? I assume I have Tiger which is the oldest?

8. samcraig macrumors P6

no - no need to be sorry. I'd just hate for you to miss an answer because no one wanted to click into the thread

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have Tiger, which is older than Leopard. The newest is Snow Leopard. You need to be on 10.5.8 (Leopard) to use the iPhone 4.

I'd try eBay, since there has to be some old upgrade out there that is cheaper than $169.

Edit: See this thread, which I found by searching for "upgrade Tiger to Leopard" without the quotes:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/167769-how-upgrade-tiger-leopard-g5.html

Dyna in that thread paid $16 for the upgrade. Whoever, you called is trying to sell you the box set, which has things you don't have to have (iWork and iLife).

Or see this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170898/tiger_users_can_get_a_cheap_upgrade_to_snow_leopard.html

There are other links, you can see by searching.

Oh, and your title still sucks. :) You might want to add "How to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard?"

10. r&s macrumors newbie

11. astrobanana macrumors regular

12. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, thanks for all the help. I'm going to try to get the update tonight and see how it goes. I really appreciate all the help! AND I changed the title so now I hope it doesn't suck. LOL:apple:

13. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to apple last night and bought the $29 upgrade and it worked like a gem. Thanks for all of the help!

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just send half the difference of what I saved you to my PayPal account. kthxbai.:)