How to upgrade HDD? Best tips and tricks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EarthNeutron, Jul 27, 2012.

1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Hi,

So I just bought a Samsung a 30 series SSD and I've been thinking what is the best way to upgrade it.

Method 1: just take out the hdd, insert the hdd and restore using a time machine backup

Method 2. Using a software to copy my hdd to the sad before taking my hdd out.

Note that I have a windows partition too and I'm using mountain lion.

Thank you

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My preferred method is to make a bootable clone of the internal drive to the external with Carbon Copy Cloner, then swap the drives and boot up. That won't address your Windows partition, however.

3. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Isn't it easier to just retore from the time machine backup?

What advantages does the carbon copy cloner has, over the time machine backup restore?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Machine can't make bootable backups. With CCC, there is no restore process. You simply plug in the drive and boot up.

5. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Well I don't have a data usb connector. So i don't be able to connect my samsung 830 to my laptop and clone it.

What happens if I just insert it into my mac? Will it start downloading Mountain Lion from the internet and then will I be able to restore from my time machine backup?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can buy an external drive enclosure for it, create the clone, then swap the drives. Now you old internal drive is useful as an external drive, for backups or additional storage.
    This should help:

OS X: About OS X Recovery
    Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.
    Hands on with Mountain Lion's OS X Recovery and Internet Recovery | Macworld

7. zone23 macrumors 68000

My advise is DON'T STRIP THE SCREW HOLES. Remember your dealing with aluminum. Don't turn the screws too fast and DON'T over tighten them. You will notice Apple used lock tight on the screws so they wouldn't be over tightened. That's all I got.