How to Upgrade MBP hard drive that runs parallels/W7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Billua, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Billua, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

Billua macrumors newbie

Title says it all.

I do have CCC and understand how to clone a bootable version of OSX and program files to the new hard drive.

But, I am also running parallels and Windows 7.

I would really appreciate and resources that I could be pointed to to assist me with this transition.

Computer is a mid 2009 model MBP

2. simsaladimbamba

As Parallels stores the Windows VM on the same HD where Mac OS X resides, cloning the entire HDD will be enough.
    Unless you have Boot Camped Windows and Parallels is accessing that Boot Camped Windows.

3. Billua thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks! That is excellent! This computer did not utilize the bootcamp that is installed.

I have been reading as much as possible in preparation for this harddrive upgrade and got sidetracked with all the talk of bootcamp..

Cheers!

4. durhamj macrumors member

test the new drive inan ext. enclosure.

A 2010 MBP ?? I did this same thing last year.
    Strongly suggest you invest in an external Firewire enclosure ($35 to $70). Put the new drive in the ext. enclosure.
    Clone your (internal) old drive to the external.
    Shut down, then reboot from the new external clone.
    If you can, operate from the external drive for a few hours, if not a few days.
    If every thing works fine then shutdown, and install the new drive into the MBP.
    Then power it up, the MBP will boot from the new internal.

Good luck...

5. Billua thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

6. Billua thread starter macrumors newbie

Up and Running

@DurhamJ,

I performed this operation yesterday. I used CCC to clone the old drive to the new one mounted into an enclosure, then used the Option key to boot from the new drive a few times and run some programs from the new disk.

All went well, so I swapped the drives and am up and running!

My boot time with the Momentus XT 500mb drive is down to 15 seconds, applications, including parallels/window 7 open much faster each time I use them.

The only issue that I have run into so far resulting from the clone and drive upgrade is that Outlook ( windows 7) wanted me to erase it's data file and rebuild from the server. I did that and all is normal.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion on how to clone a MBP that runs Parallels/Windows.

I appreciate the support!

7. tresean1 macrumors member

Hey guys. I am thinking about upgrading to the Momentus XT hybrid too, and wanted to know what to do. Would backing up my current drive to Time Machine, then installing the new drive and using the SL or Lion install disc to "restore from a TM backup" be essentially the same thing as doing the steps above? Would "restore from a TM backup" put my computer the exact same way it was (including system settings, files, programs/apps, VMs, desktop/screen saver, etc) before upgrading the harddrive?

If so, that would be the easier and cheaper (don't have an exclosure or a firwewire cable or $ to speand on 'CCC' [whatever that is]) route for me :D

8. aonarch macrumors newbie

Sorry to thread jack, but how can I clone my Windows 7 bootcamp?