How to upgrade my hdd? no apple store around me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trance, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

I would like to upgrade to a 750gb hdd for my mbp i'm too scared to do it myself and the closest apple store is a 3 hour drive, i am worried about computer shops i doubt they will be gentle (scratches/mishandled) with my laptop :(

any other options my friends?

2. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

There are plenty of HDD/SDD options to choose from and Newegg seems a popular site from this forum to purchase from.

But an informative site with how to videos on your exact model, follow the OWC link below.

http://www.otherworldcomputing.com/

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if you go to ifixit.com they have step by step with pictures of everything as well as the tools you will need and you can buy the tools directly from them. you simply add the tool to your cart on the step of the instruction.

ifixit is the way to go since you can see every step and decide yea i can do that or not.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Look, I'm 13 and have upgraded various family members' iMac RAM, a few MacBook Pro hard drives and RAM, my own hard drive etc.

You have NOTHING to worry about, plus it is technically still covered by AppleCare. All it is is a few screws off here, take out the hard drive and pop a new one in. Then case back on and screws back in. The iFixit link mentioned in the post before is very helpful, there are many tutorials that are easy to follow there.

Remember to ground yourself though by touching a bit of the metal casing before touching and electronics on the inside. Don't want to short anything out!

Good luck, it's way easier than it looks. You don't want any so called 'geniuses' taking apart your computer do you? :p

5. elliottfamily5 macrumors member

Do not be intimidated by the process. As the previous two posters stated, OCW and ifixit can literally walk you through the entire process with video and pictures. OCW usually has an option to include a tool kit with your purchase. Go to a hardware store and purchase a good 00 phillips head screwdriver for removing the screws holding the bottom case on. Place the MBP upside down on a towel (powered down and unplugged). Use the 00 phillips head to remove the ten bottom screws. Take your time! Made sure the screwdriver is seated properly, press down firmly and slowly remove the screws. At the factory they are inserted with some type of loc-tite. Place the screws on the towel next to the hole you removed them from so you know which goes where when you put them back. Follow the instructions and use the tools provided by OWC. Easy to do. OWC even has a video instructing you how to format/transfer date to your new drive depending on if you have an OS disc, OS internet recovery or a USB HDD enclosure. There are tons of threads already posted on here detailing the process also.

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I suggest getting an inexpensive SATA - USB connection and migrating your old HDD to the new one prior to installing the new one. That way, you can boot from it, make sure everything is working fine and then install the new one.