How to upgrade Parallels desktop 3.0?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Marty62, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I have been digging at the site and can find NO upgrade path !
    I need a version that works in SL 10.6.8 and above, looks like PD V- 7-8

I have a real boxed V 3.0 with Win XP installed but cannot access it anymore due
    to an SL upgrade !!

Any tips welcome ... I'm a bit stumped.

M.

2. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

are you looking to buy a version 7 or 8, but they now only offer version 9 registrations? If so there's still sealed in box copies of 8 and earlier on ebay, presumably those come with necessary licence key?

or is it just the mechanics of upgrading a VM created in version 3 to one that'll play nice with version 7 or 8?

3. Marty62 thread starter macrumors 6502

Was looking to update - can't find a way to do that without just buying it all over again.
    And also to know if Windows XP pro will work within a newer version ?

Thanks,
    M.

4. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

pretty sure you have to be on at least version 7 to qualify for a reduced price upgrade to current version 9, so a version 3 licence isnt going to qualify for upgrade pricing.

That said some of the new in box copies of version 8 on ebay are cheaper than the upgrade cost of going to 9 (even if you did qualify for the upgrade price).

Don't see any reason you cant run Win XP on version 9, definitely works on version 8 (I've half a dozen or so XP parallels VMs runing on version 8).

Your only issue might be trying to convert your existing XP virtual machine created on version 3 to one that'll run on recent versions

Worst case scenario you might need to do a fresh XP install as a new VM.

5. Marty62 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks very much, no problem with re-installing, just have a few programs that
    I want to be available to me again.
    Will check evil bay and see what's up.
    regards,
    Martin.