How to upgrade their iphones year after year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Epiphron, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Epiphron macrumors regular

So say I get the iphone4s now with a 2 year contract. How would i get the next iphone coming out in a year? Do you have to buy the phone unlocked in the first place and resell that?
    Much appreciated.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Normally Works like This

Your contract is linked to the amount you pay each month. So say you pay £40.00 UK or $60.00 US, your carrier works out how much you pay and when your contract ends, you get a new phone, or you pay a premium to get it.

I'ts an iffy area with me cause I don't know too much about US carriers anymore, but I buy my phones from Apple. We have a wide choice of carriers here in the UK and it keeps them on their toes.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I think people who spend over 100+ on their monthly bill get early upgrades.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep They Are The Same

The more you spend,the sooner you get the newbie....I hate it but I like my carrier, I spend £40.00 per month, with O2 gives me everything I need, and a yearly upgrade to a new phone. I pass these phones on to family members so I guess it's win win for the carrier.

5. Captain America macrumors 6502

This is true. Bought my iPhone 4 in Aug. 2010, and instead of the stacked (on top of old 3GS contract) running its course, I'm eligible in April.

I was able to purchase the 4S for a whoppnig $590 because I was "fortunate" enough to have a middle upgrade.

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

AT&T discontinued that policy. :mad:

7. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

What?! When? #

8. blueturf macrumors member

No they didn't. I bought the iphone 4 October 4th last year. Was eligible to upgrade October 4th this year. Pre-orded 4S on the 7th, recieved the 14th. The bill on my primary line is $105 after FAN discount.

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

Have you checked your new upgrade date? I used to get yearly upgrades, but my next upgrade isn't until May 2013 after getting the 4S.

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You were eligible cause you were grandfathered into old policy.

You won't be eligible the next time around. You'll be eligible for a partial upgrade, $250+.

Thee are NO early upgrades anymore. You sign a 2 year contract now you won't be eligible for a full upgrade until 20 months. Doesn't matter how much you spend.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

This is all true.

Lots of new rules coming for all the carriers.

AT&T is getting rid of some of it perks.

Note that you Unlimited says Unlimited for 4S!:eek:

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Go ahead and check your upgrade eligibility.

13. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That is a load of crap, the early upgrade policy has not changed. For people who just got the 4S and normally receive a yearly upgrade because of the price you pay... your upgrade date will move up over time as your bill stays high.

Also, the only reason AT&T moved up the upgrade dates in mass for the iPhone 4 launch was to lock people in for Verizon, don't expect that to happen again. But this has nothing to do with the early upgrade policy.

14. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

Same here

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Exactly right!

(a) This is definitely how it has worked in the past. I bought my iPhone 4 in November 2010, my upgrade date in December 2010 showed off into 2012 somewhere. Now it shows November 5, 2011. Last week is showed November 6.

(b) The contract (you know, the thing you signed) says you'll be eligible for full upgrade after 20 months. AT&T makes exceptions like the above as a matter of policy, not as part of the contract. Regardless of what they have done in the past or may do in the future about moving up upgrade dates based on the amount you pay, 20 months is what you should expect and plan for. If you get better, that's great. If AT&T decides not to move up dates, they are not "ripping people off" - they are following the terms of the contract you signed.

16. dave420 macrumors 65816

I guess we will see as time moves on. Last year I bought a phone in June and my upgrade date immediately changed to be one year in the future. Maybe it will be different this time. I am hoping the 4S lasts me well over a year anyway. I would kind of like to wait out my two year contract with AT&T to have all my options open.

17. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Simple, AT&T doesn't give me an upgrade, I can switch to Verizon. AT&T doesn't have an exclusive lock on the iPhone any longer and Verizon has better coverage in the Northeast.

18. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

AT&T seems willing to give me a full upgrade every year to buy the new iPhone. In fact, I bought the iPhone 4 on launch day last year and had a full upgrade available to me when the white 4 came out less than a year later. I pay for one line, grandfathered unlimited data, minimum voice plan and 1500 grandfathered text plan, so I'm certainly not in that over $100 a month group.

19. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

makes senses for ATT, they pay any where between $350 to $450 to apple for every iPhone 4S sold ($650 - $199 = $451 for minimum 16Gb iPhone 4S and ATT might get some discount on the $451)

how they will let you upgrade you every year if you are not spending that kinda of money?