How to upgrade to 3.1.2 on 2G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by StangGT909, Nov 3, 2009.

1. StangGT909 macrumors member

Sorry if this is completely obvious and I'm missing something.... I'm confused with the guides for using Blackra1n/blacksn0w on an iphone 2G. I thought that it said the tools were universal now but I'm also seeing it say it doesn't work on the 2G. I just don't want to mess anything up by using the wrong version.

I'm already unlocked and jailbroken running 3.0 and have a PC

Can someone help me with some quick steps for what to do?

Here's what I think I have to do:

1. Hit upgrade in itunes to apple's default 3.1.2 firmware
    2. Run Blackra1n on my PC and click make it rain
    3. Run Blackra1n on the iphone
    4. Click Unlock

Sounds like piece of cake but is there anything different for a 2G user?

Thanks!!!

2. nickels macrumors member

I hope this post isn't breaking any rules. Follow this link and follow the instructions. No need for any of that new Blackrain, black snow, or whatever its called:

http://www.ilikemyiphone.com/2009/1...vate-unlock-iphone-2g-3g-3gs-mac-and-windows/

The longest part of this is getting the fireware downloaded. The rest is a snap. I upgraded both of my 2G iPhones to 3.1.2 this weekend using those techniques. Let me know if you have any problems.

All you do is get the fireware and restore your iPhone using the custom firmeware in iTunes. Shift-click on restore to choose the firmware, then it will restore. When it is done you have a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone at 3.1.2.

I'd back-up prior to doing the upgrade then restore it once your done.