How To Upgrade To iPhone 4, Sell It, & Keep Using 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macbeliever, Jul 3, 2010.

1. macbeliever macrumors member

Title says it all...

I am eligible for the $199 upgrade. I currently have a 3G with iOS4 that I'm pretty happy with.

What I'd like to do is pay for the upgrade and SELL the iPhone 4. When I receive the iPhone 4 with the micro sim and never power it up and take out the sim, can I sell the iPhone 4 to someone else? Plus kep using my 3G with the old sim.

if they activate it will it shut own my 3G sim?

If I'm way off, what's the process to make this work?

I will take my profits and put them towards an iPad 3G.

Thanks in advance,

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

It will shut down your old sim card. You will have to call ATT and have them reactivate the old one. Why would you sign a new contract with ATT just to make a few dollars (and eliminate your ability to get a new iphone for the next ~24 months, without paying extra and negating the money you will make)?

3. Aquaduck04 macrumors member

While I think it's important to point out the downsides of him choosing to essentially cash in on his upgrade, ie foregoing the opportunity to upgrade at a discount a year from now, I don't think it's any of your (our) business why he would prefer the ~$400 cash in hand today in exchange for giving up the upgrade. I can think of plenty of situations where it makes sense to decide to live with a perfectly fine iphone 3g for a couple more years and make a little cash in the process.

What is stupid is the people that still have the first gen iPhone who are content with it who have not cashed in on this opportunity which could have been done twice now for ~$1000.

OP - Having AT&T reactivate your sim card takes about 10 minutes and may result in you not being able to make calls for up to 3 hours. A pretty painless process.

4. aneftp macrumors 601

Wrong info.

Once a sim is deactivated, it us useless and needs to be thrown away. They will not reactivate a sim.

2. What u want to do is have the new buyer call AT&T with the microSim that came with the iPhone 4 and manually activate that microSim with AT&T system.

That why AT&T will not deactivate your own mini sim and u can conti ue using it like you have been.

I know this works because I activated an iPhone 4 thus way. Once the microsim is activate in the AT&T system have the buyer plug inti his iTunes ti cimo,tee activation.

5. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Does the AT&T micro sim not come 'inside' a standard sim you pop it out of? If it's already activated, surely the easiest option is simply to glue/tape it back in the template and use this in the old 3G?
    That said; what sw is the 3G on? As I'm getting a little annoyed with how cwap ios4 is on it while I wait for the white iP4.

6. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

No apparently the iPad micro sims come on the main card with a mini sim encasing the micro sim. The iPhone 4 micro sims are cut directly from the main card with no mini sim option. I only am aware of this because I replaced my iphone 4 sim yesterday.

7. luisgab macrumors newbie

Or you can buy a Micro Sim to Sim card adapter for like 9 bucks and activate the micro sim that comes with the iphone 4....

8. ScKcBc macrumors regular

just dont activate it, i did the same thing with my moms line on my account

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

But then we'd have to potentially put up with the OP's bitching that he's upgrade ineligible for iPhone 5 and 6 when his already slow, blurry 3G can't run iOS 5 and 6 :rolleyes:

10. macbeliever thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the in depth reply. My fear is if I sell to a buyer on e-bay and I provide the micro sim they can just activate in my name.

1. If the new buyer already has an ATT account can they just buy a micro sim from ATT

2. Can the IMEI or anything else attributed to the iPhone 4 keep me "responsible" for the new owner. (I would like to list it as I received it completely unopened)

Thanks,