How to upgrade to SL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Germwise, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

So I have a 13" MBP. I absolutely love it except for one thing. the 160gb hard drive. Now that SL seems to be shipping very soon (august 28th if I'm reading things right) I want to see if I can combine both the HD and OS upgrade.

I bought a new 500gb scorpio blue and I'm ready to install it except I want to make sure I don't lose any data and I spend the least amount of downtime.

I have my data both as a regular backup on an external hard drive and as a time machine backup.
    The reason I have it duplicated like that is that I would rather not use time machine to transfer new data since I want to start fresh and I want to remove some of the language packs that come with OSX.

So my question really comes down to how SL upgrade will work? I assume it will want to see leopard first?!?!?! I won't just be able to format my drive and then add the SL disk?

When I click upgrade, will it format my drive or will it leave my data intact?

So should I upgrade my HD now and spend time installing apps or just wait and swap the drive, install leopard, immediately format it with the SL disk and then move my data.

If it means just waiting a few days I rather not go through the trouble of setting up my machine how I like it only to have SL wipe it clean again.

Thoughts?!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Up to you. Either way doesn't really make a difference. I know for me, I'm going to do a fresh install (always did this with new OS's). I like to eliminate/prevent any problems the best I can.