How To Upgrade to SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thaley17, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Thaley17 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I just got back from my deployment to Afghanistan and now its time to update iOS and the other great things that come along with being gone for a good little bit. I bought a new MBP 13" about a month ago and also bought a Crucial M4 128Gb SSD to upgrade to instead of paying Apple an insane amount. I'm not new to computers but I'm new to Mac's and DIY projects with them. I have seen alot of things about Bootloaders and such. Any help on getting this project started would be great. I have a little time off so I'm looking to get everything up to date. I have a pretty nice NAS setup so thats why I went with the 128Gb option just to put that out there. Thanks Guys

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Just remove the HDD, put the SSD in and do an Internet Recovery of OS X or install OS X via USB Thumb drive.

Place the HDD in an external exclosure and copies over all the important stuff to the SSD.

3. Thaley17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any certain way to load the OS X onto the new SDD?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Either create a USB recovery drive or use the Internet recovery option.

http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

5. thatoneguy82, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I just did this, sort of. I swapped SSD drives.

Make sure you have a bootable USB drive that contain OS X Mountain Lion. You will boot into this (hold option key) at startup, then format the SSD drive. Restart again. Boot the same way again. But now, this time, choose Install OS X Mountain Lion. That's it.

To check if your USB is bootable, make sure it shows up as a drive when you press and hold the option button right after the startup sound that your mac makes when it is turned on or gray screen.

It's simple to make a bootable USB drive, you just need about 8GB thumb drive and you're set. Here's a How To: http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/

Good you're back. Thank you for your service.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Oh yea, this too. :D

I appreciate what you do, so I dont have to. I admire your courage and your sacrifices.

7. bobcan, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Agreed.. on ALL..

I also shall echo these sentiments from a Northern Neighbor.. Thank You!!

And pretty much any of these suggestions should work for you.. I did the CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) install with a Crucial M4.. ~2 hours and works flawlessly!!

Good Luck and thanks again.. :)