HomePod How to upload HomePods to latest firmware that supports multiple users?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by 212rikanmofo, Jun 3, 2019.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

Is this automatically done when you install iOS 13 beta onto your iPhones or is there a separate software needed in order to upgrade the HomePod?

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

You would need the appropriate version of audioOS which is not available to the public or developers currently.

3. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Apple has yet to ever release public or developer beta's for audioOS/HomePod thus far an audioOS 13 will be no different. We will have to wait for the public release in August/September.

I didn't really understand the feature when it was mention on-stage either? Are we getting a true multi-user experience? Can we link our HomePod's to multiple Apple ID's in the Home-app and it will use the customised "Hi, Siri" in order to distinguish between voices/persons?

4. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Pretty certain there will be some sort of authorization via the Home app and then a training step (like Hey Siri training when setting up an iPhone) to get this working for each person.

5. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 68000

Can't wait to try this out. tvOS 13 has multi user support as well! About damn time!

6. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Things might change, but judging by the Home-app on my iPhone Xs Max running iOS 13 BETA1 it doesn't seem like it. OR it's rather confusing at this point.

There is no option to add another user to the HomePod, but on your overall settings for your home you can tap other family members and activate "Personal Requests" for Siri on HomePod. Can't test it as it's grey until you have audioOS 13 and I don't think we'll see any BETA's so have to wait until August/September.

I suppose enabling this will just rely on the "Hi, Siri" information from said users phone and try do distinguish based on this? But the "Hi, Siri" information is supposed to be stored only locally in the secure enclave so how can the HomePod utilise any of this without it's own "Hi, Siri" setup process? Perhaps by enabling it you will have to go through the "Hi, Siri" process on one of your HomePod to get it configured the first time or something.