How to upload videos from camcorder to macbook?

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
This is my first time trying to do this and can't figure it out. I connected the usb cable and my pictures pop up automatically but not the video. I thought it would just pop up on imovie. When i connect the USB 3 files are on with the no name icon. The first one is "DCIM" which has the pictures, the second is "MISC" which has AUTPRINT.MRK (I have no idea what that is) and the last file is "PRIVATE" which has nothing. Where's the videos????

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
The videos are usually in the DCIM folder along with your pictures. They're just mixed in.

Actually, iPhoto usually imports videos taken on my camera as well as the pics.

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
:confused:I can't find them. There all .JPG

Do I need to download the disk that came w/ the camcorder in order to view my videos?

theARNSKI

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
I had the same thing when I first tried to import video from my camcorder to my macbook.

Is it a MiniDV camera you're importing from (where you use a miniDV tape)?

In my instance, it was from a MiniDV camcorder and what I actually had to do was manually import the video. When the import window popped up, I had to rewind/fast forward the tape from there and I had to start and stop the clips I wanted.

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
^^^Yes it is a miniDV camcorder. A window never popped up. I want the whole video downloaded. I've got to try again later.

I can't figure it out:confused: Can someone help me?????

geeez.... thanks guys.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
wow, calm down. Maybe posting this in the video forum would render more replies. Also, maybe people don't know. I have no idea. Did the camera actually record? Why are there JPEGs on the same card? Are they pictures taken with the camcorder as well? What format was the said footage taken in?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Usually a USB port is used for .jpg/image transfer while MiniDV camcorders use FireWire to transfer video.

Does your camcorder have a FireWire port?

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
Connect your camera to your Mac using FireWire. Import the video into iMovie. Edit it if you so choose.

Export it (Share to Media Browser) so you can burn it to a DVD using iDVD.

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
What's FireWire port?:confused: I'm not sure. I had this camcorder since 04. How do I find out? If it doesn't am I out of luck?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I would be shocked if it didn't have a FireWire or IEEE 1394 or DV out port. My Canon camcorder had one back in 1999/2000.

What is the model of the camcorder?

The port in the Mac should be labelled with this symbol:

And a typical camcorder FW port looks like this:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yes, you will need a 4-pin-to-6-pin Firewire cable to connect your Mac (assuming it has a Firewire port! Apple has started to phase them out... but don't get me started on that one...) to your camcorder.

Once connected you can start up iMovie and import video by playing it back from the tape while recording. Note that this is a real-time process (remember dubbing VHS tapes?) so a 1-hour tape will take 1 hour to record. In DV format it will take up 13 gigs of hard drive space.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just received my firewire cable today. It doesn't fit:( Is there a difference between a 4-pin to 6-pin and 6-pin to 4-pin (one I have)?

This is the one I bought:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3756912

on there it says 4-pin to 6-pin but on the box it says 6-pin to 4-pin
What doesn't fit? The 4-pin end into the miniDV camcorder? Or the 6-pin end into the Mac?

What are the exact model numbers of your equipment?

I'm suspecting one of two things.

1. Your Mac has a Firewire 800 port. In this case, the 6-pin end won't fit in the Mac. You'll need a 6-pin to 9-pin adapter. They're not too expensive. Check out monoprice.com for a decent deal.

2. Your Mac doesn't have a Firewire port at all. In this case, you're kinda screwed. Do you have one of the new plastic unibody Macbooks? Or perhaps the original aluminum 13" Macbook? Neither of these have Firewire capabilities.

I hope that #1 applies and not #2.

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
^^^It fits the camcorder the other end does not fit the mac. I have a macbook pro that I purchased last year. I'll exchange it and try the 6-pin to 9-pin.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
^^^It fits the camcorder the other end does not fit the mac. I have a macbook pro that I purchased last year. I'll exchange it and try the 6-pin to 9-pin.
Great! I'm pretty sure all MBP from 2009 have Firewire800 ports, so that's gotta be the issue.

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
I was looking at the 6-pin/9-pin, the part that connects to the camcorder does not look like the one I need. The 6-pin/9-pin looked like this:

I needed one that looked like this:

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
If one end fits the camcorder and the other end doesn't fit your MBP, you need a FW400 -> FW800 adapter. Like this one. One of the reviewers has the same problem as you. I had the same problem connecting a new iMac (FW800) to an existing DVCAM deck (4 pin FW400). PITA.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I was looking at the 6-pin/9-pin, the part that connects to the camcorder does not look like the one I need. The 6-pin/9-pin looked like this:

I needed one that looked like this:
Yeah, it's odd that monoprice doesn't have a 4-pin/9-pin cable. If they did, it would save you an adapter.

I'm sure the 4-pin/6-pin cable you got at walmart would be fine if you add a 6-pin/9-pin adapter.

The 4-pin end would connect to your miniDV and the 6-pin end would connect to the adapter. FW800 is 9-pin, so the adapter would connect to your MBP.

The adapter that martinX linked should work, but on that same page is a 4-pin/9-pin cable. LINK

This would work better and be cheaper to boot.