How to upscale my whole itunes library to be higher quality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tacos!, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Tacos! macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I got an Ipod Nano that came with my Macbook pro, it is 8gb, and i have a 5gb music library. My question is what is the best sound encryption i should use and how many kb's should i use? I still want to have some room in my ipod for new songs and stuff.
    -Justin

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Just a heads up, whatever bit-rate you choose, you'll have to re-rip the songs from your CDs, simply re-ripping the songs already in the iTunes library at a higher bit-rate will not increase the quality of the songs.

3. esaleris macrumors 6502

The best idea is to re-rip your entire collection from the source. There's no way to upsample from a low bitrate (128 kbit/sec) to a higher one (192 kbit/sec). It's effectively like saving a .jpg at 80% quality and then trying to save it at 100% - the data that used to be there is simply not there, and it's not something you can recover.

192 kbits/sec and 256 kbits/sec AACs are reasonable. Be sure to tick on VBR. If you're curious, the reasoning behind that can be found at hydrogenaudio.org.

4. Tacos! thread starter macrumors member

Alright, Thanks guys, i was just wondering... BTW thanks for that link, it was an interesting read.
    -Justin