Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
My rMBP Haswell is connected to to 802.11n instead of 802.11ac using the latest Airport extreme. Any idea how to change this to 802.11ac?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Create seperate 2.4 & 5GHz WiFi networks on the Extreme, name them differently e.g. Home24 & Home5

This, plus under "Advanced" in network settings, make sure the 5Ghz network is listed higher then the 2.4 in your preferred networks list.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I believe the AC operates on 5Ghz band only. You need to make sure you connect to that.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
My rMBP Haswell is connected to to 802.11n instead of 802.11ac using the latest Airport extreme. Any idea how to change this to 802.11ac?

I am experiencing the same problem. The only way I've been able to work around this is to manually click on the wireless icon on the desktop select "Turn Wifi Off" and then back On again. Kind of a pain.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I'm using the Asus RT-AC68U but I'm sure it's the same process. I just have two different names and passwords on each band, 2.4 and 5 Ghz. I made sure my rMBP didn't have any networks remembered and only put in the password for the 5 Ghz network. Since this is the only device with AC capabilities in my house it is the only one logged in on that band. So at worst it would be on N but every time I check it's connected on AC. Make sure nothing else is connected on that band. Wifi can only go as fast as the slowest device connected. So it you have a wireless G device connected the computer will never get AC. Now this is only per channel. Having it connected to the 2.4 Ghz band won't effect it but double check you have nothing else on the 5 Ghz band.

Victor

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Wifi can only go as fast as the slowest device connected. So it you have a wireless G device connected the computer will never get AC.

This is not correct for modern MIMO wireless networks. It was more a problem when G networks first came out and they only had one antenna. Current MIMO wireless routers drop one of their antennas to the A/B/G protocol and keep the other one or two antennas operating at the N/AC protocol. There are even some MIMO G wireless routers that are also not effected by this limitation.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
This is not correct for modern MIMO wireless networks. It was more a problem when G networks first came out and they only had one antenna. Current MIMO wireless routers drop one of their antennas to the A/B/G protocol and keep the other one or two antennas operating at the N/AC protocol. There are even some MIMO G wireless routers that are also not effected by this limitation.

Good to know. I'm not surprised that my knowledge is outdated. Thanks for the correction.

Victor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.