How to use a C2Duo Mini as a media streamer?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Giuanniello, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Giuanniello macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

I own two C2Duo minis, one of them got a treatment where I upgraded the CPU to 2.33Ghz if I recall correct, just for the fun of it but they both sit unused and thought to use one, maybe by upgrading to an SSD, as a media server for both audio (mainly .FLAC) and movies (which are actually streamed through a NAS).

Is there a way to connect the Mini straight to the HI-FI (which I'd do either through USB to a DAC or through RCA out to a LINE IN onto a preamp) without to have to use a screen to access the content? The ones I own don't have an HDMI out to connect it to the TV screen and as such I don't want to complicate things but rather simplify other than the NAS (which I access through an ATV4 and Infuse as a streamer for video but don't use for FLAC since I don't know of any streamer for audio not to mention I read that it would downsample the bitrate).

Any hint welcome

Grazie

2. gp313 macrumors newbie

That's very easy: just buy an HDMI-DVI adapter for a few bucks or a cable; as, e.g., http://amzn.eu/d/baemyD6

3. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

I got the cable suggested above, limitation of the Mini being the max OS being 10.7 if I recall correct, I read somewhere about a way to upgrade to 10.8 which I think I need if I want to run software to play flac audio files on the Mini.

I am thorn at if to upgrade to an SSD which will rip off about 90 euros or if to save and wait to get an used but easier upgradeable Mini like a 2012 model which runs in the 300 euros range.

Thanks

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Get it setup to the point that the only problem is speed, THEN look at upgrades like ssd.

Lots of cheap ssd on eBay, especially under 256

5. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

Any idea how could I remotely control the Mini to, say, play music through VOX or similar player without to have to use a mouse? I have the Mini's tiny remote but dunno if it can be of any help for the purpose, maybe an iPhone app...

Grazie

6. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

I found a compatible 2GB memory module and a 500GB hard drive, will try and put it all together and if it works I will convert the FLAC library to either ALAC or AAC (which one you think does better?) and connect it to the TV screen through a DVI to HDMI cable I have (which I know being working with the Mini) and then figure how to make it work without a keyboard permanently attached.

Best

Giovanni

7. zoomp macrumors member

I would try to run Roonlabs roonserver with it, then you can setup roonpoints all over the house. Roon is a amazing piecemof software, it made me rediscover my library.

Also, take a look at computeraudiophile forum. They are constantly building setups for audio.

8. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

The Mini is almost ready to go take its spot next to the TV screen and stereo system, I am also converting music from FLAC to ALAC so that I can begin with iTunes but I am still wondering how can I control the Mini without to keep the TV screen on and a mouse attached to it (mouse not too big of a deal, TV on bothers me when listening to music).

Any idea?

Grazie