How to use a single RAID0 drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mpt-matthew, Sep 1, 2010.

1. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

Right, this isnt an entirely Mac question, but i'm converting to Mac so this is why i posted it here.

I want to copy files from my old PC to my new Mac.

My simple idea was to take the HD out, put it in an enclosure and copy the files i wanted across.

I knew my PC had 2 hard drives (and a total of 500GB space on C drive), but i just though the computer would store everything on one then when that got full it would move to the next one.
    Anyway, i did a little research and I think that is configured with RAID0.
    Is there any way to take the hard drive out and keep the data intact for transfer to mac.

thanks

PS although i put this in Mac Pro section, i'm transferring to a Macbook Pro, just thought that mac Pro users would know more about this.
    matt

2. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

No RAID-0 stripes the data across the drives, 1/2 on one, 1/2 on the other.

You better off just connecting your PC and Mac to a network and using the Windows file sharing, SSH (ssh on Mac, WinSCP on Windows to copy), or any of the other numerous ways to transfer files.

If you have a gigabit switch, it will probably be faster than USB or Firewire anyway.

3. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks

For some reason aswell, my external hard drive transferring is taking forever.
    It taken over 24hr to transfer 60GB to a USB hard drive.
    Is something wrong?

4. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

USB 2.0 has a max transfer speed (in reality) of about 20-25 MB/s. @ 60GB it should only take 51 minutes to transfer the entire drive.

I know my Macbook Pro (17-inch), can sustain 24MB/s from various USB 2.0 external enclosures I have, some with 3.5-inch drives and some with 2.5-inch drives..

5. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, that's what i thought, so there is a problem.
    Its my 2.5inch drive form an old laptop in a cheap ebay enclosure.
    Well, once i get my mac sorted, i might invest in a G drive.

thanks

6. sboerup macrumors 6502

Sounds like your drive is old, which could be part of the problem, but the above could also be a USB1 drive which is REDICULOUSLY slow (40 times slower than USB2).