How to use a standard DVD drive as an external Mac drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by les24preludes, Sep 17, 2012.

1. les24preludes macrumors member

I have an external USB Samsung DVD recorder which is now giving trouble. I'm wary of replacing it with another flimsy such drive.

How can I use a standard, as in internal, DVD recorder externally? Is there some interface and DVD housing you can buy to do this? Like something that handles ATAPI or whatever?

I have a Mac Mini 2011 which has no internal DVD recorder. It has Firewire 800 and USB connections.

2. les24preludes thread starter macrumors member

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

That will work just fine. The only real problem with those units is their poor build quality, don't expect it to last too long if you're constantly plugging and unplugging.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Have you thought about buying another reasonable priced but higher quality external drive? I've used LG, Toshiba and Apple external DVD drives over the years and all have been reliable and long lasting.

The thing is all drive components (internal or external) are pretty much the same any more, esp. within any given quality or price category.

And using a SATA/IDE adapter with an internal drive will not provide any improved performance. It's still just operating at USB speeds. And the internal DVD drive you buy to use with it would probably be the same as you'd find in any given external DVD drive.