how to use a usb bluetooth 2.0 adapter on tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by foice, Dec 23, 2008.

1. foice macrumors member

Hi to all,
    I have a A2DP bluetooth headset which sounds great with my A2DP mobile. Unfortunately the bluetooth in my powerbook is just 1.0 and is not capable to push stereo audio to the headset. the workaround for A2DP on tiger by the utlity a2dpcast works quite nice but it need some care to have it working, so I bought a conceptronic cbt2nano bluetooth 2.0 adapter.
    to be honest this adapter is not claimed to be mac compatible anywhere, but it seems that the mac recongnises it. in fact the system profiler utility has an enrty for it:

BT2.0:

Version: 48.39
    Bus Power (mA): 500
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Product ID: 0x0001
    Vendor ID: 0x0a12

the dongle has a blue light which starts to flash after I switch on the bluetooth on my mac, so it seems there is some sort of comunication between the mac and the dongle.

now, how can I manage this bt adapter in tiger? the system prefernces panel for bluetoot does not acknowledge it anywhere, do I need a driver for it?

thank for help.
    roberto

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you're trying to use a device on an operating system that doesn't support it, I think you're on your own. What do you think you are, a Linux user? :D

3. foice thread starter macrumors member

Indeed I am! you caught me :apple:
    Unfortunately the subject is very little covered anywhere, and this thread is already in the first page of results on google if you search "a2dp bluetooth adapter mac".
    So you suggest me to buy a BT 2 adapter on applestore? at the local store here they don't have any :mad:
    http://store.apple.com/it/search?find=bluetooth

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, from the sound of it, it's the Bluetooth adapter that needs attention. I'm assuming any of these should work.

5. foice thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I decided to go for a Mac compliant BT adapeter, now I am hunting for a Sitecom CN-523 which is Class 1 BT 2.0 nano form factor. :cool:
    I'll leave the issue of the other adapter for the next year ...
    Thanks for all the replies.