Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mkallevik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Is it possible to use the abc app outside the us? I have the app, but they are using ip blocking.

On a mac, you can use a hotspot shield, but obviously you cannot have that on your iPad... Is there away around this without having to jailbreak? Is it possible to use a hotspot shield on the router? I have the time capsule.

Thanks for your help!

Samar7

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Is it possible to use the abc app outside the us? I have the app, but they are using ip blocking.

On a mac, you can use a hotspot shield, but obviously you cannot have that on your iPad... Is there away around this without having to jailbreak? Is it possible to use a hotspot shield on the router? I have the time capsule.

Thanks for your help!

When i get my iPad tomorrow i'm going to try and use hotspot shield on my mac and enable Internet connection sharing from my macbook and share the connection. Let me know if you get a chance to do it now and if it works mate.

Seo

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Cupertino, California
The iPhone OS has supported VPN connections ever since I can remember, so you can get a VPN service (I use StrongVPN) and use that. Very reliable and great service.

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
You can buy a combined iphone and mac and iPad VPN service from Witopia.net. There's plenty of other VPN providers too, just google VPN Providers, or VPN Reviews etc.

I've successfully accessed AOL radio and Hulu.com and ABC.com from here in the UK, and it works in reverse, eg: UK services in USA.

You need a provider that provides several servers in each country, because if 1 gets blocked, you can switch to another just by changing your server settings.

This does happen sometimes!

good luck!

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
HotspotShield no longer works with Hulu or ABC. Instead, I found using a VPN server in the US to be 100% effective.

I'm based in Cheshire, UK and can now open and play videos within ABC for iPad, without issue.
I'm using a PPTP VPN server package from StrongVPN.com. $21 per 3/mos.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
R-Fly

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
I will offer this tidbit for those who do not want to pay.

check out this site, you just set your dns to theirs and they just route the traffic of specific sites through a different place to make it look like your are in the usa. My fiance is in norway right now and is using it on her ipad.

http://tunlr.net/

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I will offer this tidbit for those who do not want to pay.

check out this site, you just set your dns to theirs and they just route the traffic of specific sites through a different place to make it look like your are in the usa. My fiance is in norway right now and is using it on her ipad.

http://tunlr.net/

You are a great man!

Thank you very much!

Will come in hand when traveling .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.