Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sanju2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
I want to develop iPad apps through Adobe AIR. I have downloaded Adobe AIR SDK also. Kindly help me how to install and learn Adobe AIR SDK.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
I think you should be well into Flash development before you get into AIR. Lynda.com is typically a great video tutorial system and they have the one for AIR, at this link: http://www.lynda.com/Flash-CS5-tuto...new-features/Using-Adobe-AIR-2-0/63835-4.html

Keep in mind, you will most likely require Adobe Flash Professional CS5 in order to develop anything. And that will run you about 400 bucks.

The "cheaper" alternative is to write native iOS apps. You can fiddle around xcode, which is about 5 bucks, I believe. But word of warning, Objective C is not exactly an easy programming language. There are TONS of learning materials all over the web for both, AIR and Objective C. And xcode requires an intel-based Mac. However, it runs great on my Hackintosh.

technoawareness

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
I want to develop iPad apps through Adobe AIR. I have downloaded Adobe AIR SDK also. Kindly help me how to install and learn Adobe AIR SDK.

Before you try to learn about Adobe AIR , you need to have some basic knowledge on Flash, actionscripting, First learn the easiest version of Adobe flash mx version and then learn Adobe Flash CS5.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I never saw the point in Adobe iOS SDK. You can develop flash apps specifically designed for iOS, and you cant push the code to your device?
You cant access it trough HTTP with safari. Does it wrap the SWF file in an .app file with a flash player?

I'd rather advice you to go the hard way and learn Objective-C, lynda has video's to help you, and you can sell your app's in the AppStore, and you can program for the mac, and loads of stuff.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
I never saw the point in Adobe iOS SDK. You can develop flash apps specifically designed for iOS, and you cant push the code to your device?
You cant access it trough HTTP with safari. Does it wrap the SWF file in an .app file with a flash player?

I'd rather advice you to go the hard way and learn Objective-C, lynda has video's to help you, and you can sell your app's in the AppStore, and you can program for the mac, and loads of stuff.

Adobe has a tool that should covert your Flash projects into a package that can be published and sold on App Store. But I agree, native apps should work better.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Adobe has a tool that should covert your Flash projects into a package that can be published and sold on App Store. But I agree, native apps should work better.

Last time I checked that was another tool, and it converted flash to HTML5, and it didn't work to well (yet)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.