how to use an ftp server like idisk?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i-stratos, Feb 16, 2012.

1. i-stratos macrumors newbie

Hallo folks
    I am interested to use my 25 GB online storage in an idisk similar manner. What do I mean with that: I am using mobile me for quite a few years and I have to say that it is a nice online storage option. One of the really cool thinks on mobile me is that the synchronization is very easy (only a click away on my status bar) and mobile me does not make any errors during the sync process. That allows me simply to sync files between the idisk, imac and macbook.

Let me come to my question: My internet provider offers me online storage via a ftp protocol. My purpose is to use this online storage like a cloud disk (similar to idisk). Is there a way or even a program that allows me to easily and especially error free synchronize the edited files on to the server/"cloud" like idisk does????

Or in other words: can I use my ftp online storage as an alternative to idisk? And if yes what is the best way to do that? Is cyberduck good for that purpose?

John

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would think you could just create a Folder on the FTP server and have CyberDuck sync that folder with wherever your documents are on the Mac. It will not be as transparent as Dropbox or iDisk, but it would work.

3. ytk macrumors regular

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I like Forklift.

But there are lots of FTP clients out there that can do all sorts of stuff. Just download a couple and try them out.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Interarchy has been doing this since the Polk Administration. All others are imitators.