how to use an iphone with out a contract

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by smarty828, Oct 26, 2010.

1. smarty828 macrumors newbie

Hi, I been serching the web for answers but not been able to find, I ve hear and seen people on u tube videos that use their jail broken ipod touch to send free tex messages and seen some use it to make calls, ok so this is at I want to do, I have three iphones on a famyly plan the contract expired already so I can cancel all of them, what I wan to to do is after cancel them, do the jailbreak and unlock and try to install apps to send free tex messages or maybe pay a l;ow monthly fee and use skype or gogle voice to make calls and I know many people said that having an iphone with out wifi conecction is like a brick, but I've seen videos where they showyou how to make your iphone in to a hot spot wifi wich means you will have wifi signal everywere, I mean would.nt be nice to be able to use your iphone to make calls, sen texts ans surf the net for free or at least not having to pay too much ( I currently pay $270 montly) please let me know if anyboddy have tried this and if it works

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What? You are way off.
    If you dont have wifi or carrier data theres no internet acess period.
    You can send free texts using various different programs while connected to wifi only obviously.
    And you can use your carriers(AT&T) 3G connection to create a wifi hotspot.
    You cannot create a hotspot out of nothing meaning if you cancell your account you wont have any data or voice on it unless you connect to wifi.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

At first I was stumped but seeing your reply, I now know the OP mixed together at least 2-3 different thought processes. :) Kudos to you sir for making heads/tails from that...

4. smarty828 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

To use things such as Google Voice, etc. you must have some sort of internet connection. If you don't have a contract or 3G service through a provider like AT&T then you will be dependent on WiFi service to send those texts or receive the IP based calls. That is what the prior posters were saying as well.

For your iPhone to be a hot spot it needs to be connected to an internet connection, either 3G or Wifi. You can get by without a contract but you will need to be connected to a network of some sort to use those services you want to.

6. smarty828 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I can't create a wifi hot spot out of nothing? sorry but I m new at this but I was watching this video on youtube and to me it looked that he created a wifi out of nothing the video was posted by ipodtouch293 and it's called "how to get wifi everywere on any iphone". is he lying?

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Are you really surprise by that??

This thread is Confusing :confused: and Funny :D all at the same time.

A hotspot out nothing, will give you nothing.

You could create a hot spot that doesn't really connect you anything (not really sure why someone would do that), maybe just a way to Locally connect devices? (LAN kind of thing).

8. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

He is using an iphone that has service. So he is not lying.

9. urbanmacUser macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

He makes his iphone a wifi hotspot so other devices can connect to it and use its 3g connection.

The iphne needs a 3G connection to do this.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Does money grow on trees? :rolleyes:
    You must have some kind of internet connection to create a hotspot or be somewhere where there is a wifi connection.
    ipodtouch293's video espouses pirating apps, which is illegal on this forum.
    The user didn't create wifi out of nothing. He already had his AT&T data plan active. He used MyWi to access this data plan. Because he's jailbroken, the AT&T connection was obscured.
    It's obvious that you don't understand technology. I think you should stay away from this course of action until you know what you're doing.

11. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Hi, I ve texts at least not been people voice tex me know make call have skype or gogle voice to pay a brick, but I call having them, do, I have this is is is after call of the with out not wifi contract expired all all having to make can call apps this and the cancel them, do is and if and free iphones on u tube able to seen to find, I want be net messages and seen videos what I ve that I currently) ple voice to been so I mean works Hi, I want been able tried the call of the wifi signal everywers

12. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

what? :confused:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

14. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I give up.

15. gatearray macrumors 65816

You make an excellent point, and I completely agree with you except for that part about "do is and if and"— you didn't have to be nasty about it.

:)