How to use an old pc as a hd through ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by teckwiz, Oct 18, 2009.

1. teckwiz macrumors newbie

Hi i have a very old pc (came with win ME(I have upgraded it to XP and Ubuntu 9.04-The jaunty Jackalope) anyway it has to (PATA) hard drives in it and I would like to use them as external hds for my mac running 10.5.8 using ethernet and not a hd box i have no money to buy anything new as
    If possible it would also be nice to be able to download movies from movieberry, to my mac and transfer them to my xbox (I have WiFi) as well as share files throughout my house. but the first one is the most important and the second and third are just wants not 'needs' (I am running low on space
    Thanks for your time
    Teckwiz

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You didn't specify which OS you're actually running on the PC, but either way you need to setup a shared folder(s) on it to access the PC over the network. It's pretty self explanatory.

In Windows right-click the folder you want to share and look for "Sharing and Security..."
    In Ubuntu right-click the folder and look for "Sharing Options"

3. teckwiz thread starter macrumors newbie

im dual booting both OS's
    this worked on the pc but when i go t my mac nothing appears i went in finder and clicked go then network and i see my brothers and mums pcs but not mine
    thx