How to use an unlocked 3GS with Verizon?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by IverTHPS2, Jun 17, 2010.

1. IverTHPS2 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have an unlocked 3GS that I'm selling, and I've been getting tons of questions about how exactly it can be used with another service provider.

I unlocked the 3GS with PwnageTool several months ago and, after taking my SIM card out, the phone clearly recognizes that there is no SIM card. However, Verizon did not provide SIM cards to some people interested in purchasing my phone... so how would they go about using the unlocked 3GS with Verizon?

Any insight would be appreciated; thank you!

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

3. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Never

Verizon is a CMDA network... it doesn't use SIM cards, therefor you can not use an iPhone with Verizon

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

In the US, T-Mobile is the only other choice (Data runs on Edge speeds, not 3G speeds)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. IverTHPS2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I had always assumed that the issue with Verizon carrying the iPhone was just for legitimate usage, so I'm incredibly surprised that the service won't even work with unlocked phones (today is also the first I've heard of Verizon not having SIM cards, just to show how out of the loop I am).

That being said, the price an unlocked 3GS sells for on eBay is rather astounding if it can only be used domestically with one additional service provider!

7. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

There could also be some small local carriers as well. Cincinnati Bell uses GSM and I know people that use the iPhone on it. Maybe there is something like this near the OP.

As a side note, I always hate when i see people advertise unlocked iPhones as being able to be used on "any network." While someone that is somewhat tech savy knows better, it seems that the average joe off the street does not know that "any" only refers to any gsm carrier. (not attacking or accusing the OP in any way, just as a general rant)

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If unlocked, an iPhone can be used anywhere in the world (on GSM carriers)

But, in the US, T-Mobile is the other big choice. Yep, forgot about Cinn Bell, but they are small with few subscribers.

9. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Sure he can. Not everyone is as addicted to these forums as us. Thankfully, some of us are helpful. :p

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

I have seen Applejuiced help lots of people in this forum. I think he was just surprised.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont need to be addicted to anything to know the difference between GSM and CDMA cellphones.
    The same reason you cant use any AT&T or tmobile phones on Sprint or Verizon.
    A little common sense would tell one that if unlocked iphones could be used on Verizon tons of people would be using them by now.
    And if you researched or checked out some of my posts you would know if Im helpfull or not.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yep, you are, especially about jailbreaking. However, I got pretty much the same comment from some newbie today, which now I’m highlighting in my sig.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol
    Figures:D