How to Use App Limits and Downtime in iOS 12

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In iOS 12, Apple's digital health push includes a couple of special new features for iPhone and iPad users who want to cut down on their app usage: App Limits and Downtime. In this article, we'll show you how to use them.

App Limits allows you to set specific time limits on a particular app category (games, for example). When you've spent the designated time using the app category, iOS sends you an alert notifying you of the fact. Of course, you're free to ignore these alerts, but the idea behind them is that they'll help you manage your time better.

[​IMG]

The second feature, Downtime, enables you to set a daily schedule for when you'd rather not use your iOS device at all. Once activated, the feature restricts device usage to phone calls and any apps you've specifically exempted from Downtime. Like App Limits, you can override these restrictions - they're more like good guidance than anything else, and can still help if you honestly want to self-regulate your mobile usage.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use App Limits and Downtime in iOS 12

2. mrklaw macrumors 68020

would be good to know how this works with family sharing. Eg can kids be set up so they can't ignore the limits? If they hit a limit can they request an extension from the parent?

3. aardwolf macrumors 6502

They were SO close to having something that works for kids. As it works now, the kids can just ignore the limit...

4. jutdon84 macrumors newbie

Only if you give them the passcode you set up when you enable Time Limit.

5. aardwolf macrumors 6502

No, I just tested it. There is no passcode required to tell it to ignore the time limit.

Edit: Oh, you're right! You have to turn on the Content and Privacy Restrictions (under a different menu item) to make it prompt them for a password.

This will actually let me give my daughter an iPad now. :)

6. eroyce macrumors member

If your kids have separate devices and their own appleID set up as part of the family, they will need to request permission from you to extend their time limit.

7. PW47 macrumors newbie

PW47

8. KC in KC macrumors newbie

KC in KC

As a parent, there has to be way to completely ban an application. Currently, you have to assign at least 1 minute of time. This is not a good parental control.

Also, there is too much "security" based on Apple's view of app categories. If I want my child to use one "Social Networking" app and not others, there isn't a good way to do that except granting "Always Available". Then the downtime limits don't apply.

It looks like Our Pact or other parental controls will still be required in IOS 12.

9. MJ0778 macrumors newbie

It seems like. My tougher has a Apple touch with iOS 9.3.5 and it doesn’t work. Although I can choose my tougher in my settings and I can set limits etc. Would be nice if it works on every iOS.

10. ajguckian macrumors member

Is there any way to remove an app from the categories they have setup?