How to use Classic apps in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IIsi, Dec 2, 2007.

1. IIsi macrumors newbie

I understand that classic apps are not supported in Leopard. I use an old version of Photoshop now and then that requires classic. For my limited use, the cost of a new version of Photoshop (expensive) is not really worth it. :(

So, is there a work around that will let me run the old photoshop? For example, can I install an old OS to use when I want to run my old Photoshop?
    Thanks, Mark

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you havee a G4 that origionally shipped with OS 9 you can dual boot and use that, otherwise probably the best solution i to buy an older mac that boots into OS 9 or dual boot with Tiger to use classic.

3. IIsi thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds good. However, what if I upgrade my current achingly slow antique, and get a new computer with Leopard. Can I install a partition on the new computer that has an old OS that would operate the old Photoshop (version 5.5, which works pretty well for what I've used it for.)?

Thanks,
    Mark

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Can't run OS 9.2 on an Intel Macintosh. If I were you I would keep your current machine just for photoshop and then use the new machine for everything else.

5. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

The Intel Macs do not support Classic. So a partition would not help your situation. Photoshop 7 will open with either OS9 or OSX, Photoshop 7, CS and CS2 open on a Power Mac with OSX, and they will open with an Intel Mac under Rosetta. Photoshop CS3 works natively with an Intel Mac.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

7. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

No offence Mark but I don't get why you refuse to upgrade at least minimally.

If you are prepared to pay thousands for a new computer, why would you not drop fifty bucks on eBay for an old copy of Photoshop that is still newer than the one you are using? You can also just borrow a friends copy of PShop and if they are not using it, (if they have upgraded), it's perfectly legal for them to transfer the license to you AFAIK.

If the version of PShop you are using is so old as to be OS-9 only, then it's feature set is already half replicated by iPhoto which comes free with Leopard itself. It's also possible to buy alternative image editor programs like Pixelmator that will run on Leopard, that are under a hundred bucks, and have *more* functionality than your (11 or 12 year old?) version of PShop.

8. saxman macrumors 6502

Edit: Ooops, beaten to it

You could try Sheepshaver.

Although I have not used it, and the 1/8th native speed may be a problem on an Intel Mac, but if you've got the time to figure it out, it might be worth it to you. You may also look at Photoshop Elements for OS X, it may have all the tools you need

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Would you be able to get by with Photoshop Elements?

It is missing some of the advanced features of Photoshop but is still a good program for photo editing and doesn't cost a fortune.

The current version isn't Intel native but there's a new version due in early 2008.

10. Chance9888 macrumors member

Chance9888

Sheep shaver not too good.

I think that buying an old g3 and a new mac or upgrading you current mac would be your best choice. I have an intel imac, and i can tell you sheepshaver is a terrible emulator. it doesnt read cd's (which it says it does) and the entire program unexpectedly quits when you try to install software on it. Or else, you could just pick a good ol' imac g5 and dual boot it. Thats another good idea, but its your choice. :apple: