Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios10-apple-tv-remote-app-icon.jpg
In iOS 11 and later, it's possible to add an Apple TV Remote interface to the Control Center that will allow you to quickly navigate and control playback on your 4K Apple TV or fourth-generation Apple TV using your iPhone or iPad. It's a great solution if you just can't get on with Apple's Siri Remote, and doesn't require you to install an app. In this article, we'll show you how to set up the Apple TV Remote on your iOS device and explain how to use it once you've done so.

Before continuing, make sure that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is updated to the latest version of iOS: Open the Settings app, tap General -> About, and look for the version number. If you need to update, tap back to Settings, select Software Update, and follow the onscreen instructions, then meet us back here when installation is complete.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use Control Center's Apple TV Remote in iOS

Last edited:
Reactions: JayMysterio

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Ayee might wanna add this to the article -

It actually DOES have a volume control. If you can control your TV’s volume with the Siri remote, you’re using AirPods, connected to a Bluetooth speaker, or AirPlay speaker, you can change the volume using the physical volume buttons on your device. Super nifty.

timmyh

Contributing Editor
Mar 18, 2016
Edinburgh, UK

It actually DOES have a volume control. If you can control your TV’s volume with the Siri remote, you’re using AirPods, connected to a Bluetooth speaker, or AirPlay speaker, you can change the volume using the physical volume buttons on your device. Super nifty.

Just tested this successfully with HomePod - thanks a lot for the tip! I've added a note about it.

Last edited:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Wow, I never knew about this.

I love these 'delighters' - this is what makes Apple, Apple :)

Absolutely, but actually this is Apple's job to push this knowledge to it's customers somehow more transparent, as most features are hidden and not used by the broad public at all.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for pointing this out. Normally I ignore these articles but this one and the one yesterday about Apple TV tips are very informative.

Reactions: timmyh

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Have to agree with other positive feedback on these articles - just the kind of content I’d like to see more on MR, even if they’re not rumours. 10+ from me for these tips’n’tricks articles! Thank You.

Reactions: timmyh

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
I'm being serious here....how is this more convenient than using the Apple TV Remote app. I don't get it. I have this app on my home screen. I tap the icon, and there is the remote.
Is there something that I'm missing?

Reactions: ignatius345

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Did this MR article impact impact you in any way, personally? Just curious.

So did my post impact you? This was not my intension. My point here was that I very often see that features provided by Apple developers are not published in a way that should be. Providing an example, HomePod created a lot of discussion whether or not music libraries can be streamed or not (from a HomePod, not another device) - for nothing. Also a lot of trials from July out here feature good catches that have been developed but never communicated by Apple even though adding huge value.

So it's somehow strange good features are not being advertised (or too late) even though adding a lot of value and would most certainly attract even more users. This is why I even keep bookmarking and appreciating threads like this instead of looking for orginal Apple support docs.

Last edited:

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
I'm being serious here....how is this more convenient than using the Apple TV Remote app. I don't get it. I have this app on my home screen. I tap the icon, and there is the remote.
Is there something that I'm missing?

Control centre is available anywhere, even when using other apps. That’s my thought anyway.

Reactions: John.B

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Remember, if you own a second- or third-generation Apple TV, you can still use your iOS device as a remote, but you'll need to download the dedicated Apple TV Remote app from the App Store.

Not true.

The new Remote app for iOS (icon with gray text on black field) works fine with my 3rd gen AppleTV.

I know because I’ve been running it due to the horrible new TV remote and the screwed up nature of the new Netflix/Prime/Hulu/YouTube “apps” vs the old “channels” on the 3rd gen TV.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Absolutely, but actually this is Apple's job to push this knowledge to it's customers somehow more transparent, as most features are hidden and not used by the broad public at all.

i agree. However, my take in the overall tech gadget market is, there needs to be a balance of technology and advertised usability.
let's use the flick feature in regards to the ipad. Timesaver, keystroke saver.
Who knows about this? out of hundreds of people i have asked, the kids know about it and adults are amazed by it.

I have questioned why apple doesn't touted such gems.

another gem.
Apple support videos on youtube
type in common questions into google
how to set up an apple watch
set up activities on an apple watch
set up music on apple watch

people are amazed at how much info apple has posted. They just never knew it was all there.

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Not true.

The new Remote app for iOS (icon with gray text on black field) works fine with my 3rd gen AppleTV.

I know because I’ve been running it due to the horrible new TV remote and the screwed up nature of the new Netflix/Prime/Hulu/YouTube “apps” vs the old “channels” on the 3rd gen TV.
That's exactly what they said. You need to use the dedicated *app* and not the control center widget. So, true.

Reactions: John.B

vc2020

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2014

Literally the only thing useful in this article was this comment.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Just tested this successfully with HomePod - thanks a lot for the tip! I've added a note about it.

Literally the only thing useful in this article was this comment.

Wtf. Did they edit the post to reflect my comment and just not credit me? I’m pretty positive it said something about not having volume control and having to use the speaker or tv controls before, otherwise I wouldn’t have comment what I did.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.