How to use dual monitors with my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mike1360, Nov 9, 2013.

1. mike1360 macrumors newbie

I have a 13" Macbook Pro. (It's not the newest one with the retina display) I have an old Dell desktop monitor i would like to try and hook this Laptop up to. It seems i need to get a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter.

Will this allow me to use both monitors as one giant one? Meaning you can do separate things on each and move the mouse and files between each one. Not just a mirrored image?

Also, It seems the Mini DisplayPort will just plug into my thunderbolt port?

This is the cord that i have for the Dell monitor http://i.imgur.com/sD5zBiV.jpg

Thanks

2. Shubbeh macrumors member

The cord in your picture is VGA, not DVI. Make sure your monitor does have a DVI input if you wish to use DVI.
    That said, I personally use a Mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapter and it works fine.
    This is the one I have: http://www.startech.com/AV/Displayp...ayPort-to-VGA-Video-Adapter-Converter~MDP2VGA

I connect it to my MBA's Thunderbolt port, a picture shows up on the external monitor and I have a choice between mirroring the two displays or doing what you have in mind, which is an extended desktop spanning both the MacBook's display and the external monitor and you can drag windows between the two.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've used both a mini-display port to DVI and VGA for connection to various displays and projectors. It works great as either mirrored or as an extended display. At home I use my MBP in clamshell mode as I don't like the disparity in display sizes between the 15" and the 23" ACD.

As mentioned, make sure you have the right connection for your display. Some monitors will take both VGA and DVI.