Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marktoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
I just bought an older iBook G3 with an airport card, running 10.2. I don't have a wireless network, though, so I need to connect to my cable internet service through the ethernet port. However, when I go into "Internet Connect," I can only select airport or dial-up. I can't seem to figure out how to connect using the ethernet port. Do I need to remove the airport card or something? Any help would be apprecitated. Thanks.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
System Preferences -->
Network -->
Show: Network Port Configurations

Make sure Built-in Ethernet is checked.
If it is not there, then Go to new. Type some name, then select Built-in Ethernet from the drop down. Now make sure the newly created one is checked.

Now select Show: Built-In Ethernet (or whatever you called it)
You can pick you setting here. I'm assuming you'll be using DHCP.

Hope this works.

marktoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
Ah, that sounds logical. Thank you. I'll try it when I get home.

marktoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
In I'm afraid that didn't do it. Buit-In Ethernet is present and checked in Network Configurations, but I can still only select Airport or Internal Modem when I open Internet Connect. Any other ideas? Thanks.

marktoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
Yes, I pushed it and wiggled it around, and nothing. I hope it's not a bad ethernet port.

Spinach

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2005
just open a browser...you maynot need to open a connection cause its already open

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
it will show a green light next to built in ethernet in that menu

also are you going to sell the airport card (i you are im interested)
or if you need a airport base station i can sell you one
good luck on figuring out the ethernet

marktoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
It doesn't work when I simply open a browser.

I have the settings as you said, grapes911.

doucy2, I don't see any lights, green or otherwise. I'm only running 10.2, though. I will be looking to buy a base station soon, but not right away.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
marktoo said:
It doesn't work when I simply open a browser.

I have the settings as you said, grapes911.

doucy2, I don't see any lights, green or otherwise. I'm only running 10.2, though. I will be looking to buy a base station soon, but not right away.

System Preferences -> Network -> Show: Built-in Ethernet -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

Then click on Renew DHCP Lease.

If you're still not getting anything it most likely means that you're router is not setup for DHCP, which it should be by default. What kind of network is it? Do you have access to another computer on the network that you can check the settings with?

marktoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
Counterfit, the cable is good. I know it's not a problem with the cable or the service because it works fine on my older iMac.

Kerpow, I'll try that when I get home from work. I don't know anything about a router. I just have a Motorola cable modem. I'm trying to hook up to my Comcast cable internet service. Thanks.

marktoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
Still no luck. I don't see any "Renew DHCP lease" option to click.

I'm starting to think it really is a bad ethernet port, because a minute ago the IP address disappeared, and when I wiggled the ethernet cable it reappeared again.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
marktoo said:
Still no luck. I don't see any "Renew DHCP lease" option to click.

I'm starting to think it really is a bad ethernet port, because a minute ago the IP address disappeared, and when I wiggled the ethernet cable it reappeared again.

So you don't see this?

(see attach)

I've never used Jaguar but would assume its the same as Panther or Tiger. Is there an Apple Store near you? The Genius Desk will be able to test it for you with all the right setup network and cables and will easily be able to tell if there is a hardware fault.

kg9ov

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2005
In front of a computer...
marktoo said:
Counterfit, the cable is good. I know it's not a problem with the cable or the service because it works fine on my older iMac.

Kerpow, I'll try that when I get home from work. I don't know anything about a router. I just have a Motorola cable modem. I'm trying to hook up to my Comcast cable internet service. Thanks.
When you moved the cable from the iMac to your iBook, did you power cycle the cable modem? Some of the cable modems will only allow network traffic from the first MAC address they see when powered up. So, any time you change the device that is connected to the cable modem (computer, router, etc.), you need to power the cable modem off and back on.

-Tony

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
IL
reset your modem and router. Setting up comcast can be a pain sometimes. I found that resetting my airport express worked once when i could not get on.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I say check the System Profiler and see if it recognizes an Ethernet Card (under Network). If nothing shows up for ethernet then it would seem that the ethernet card is kablooie.

marktoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
Got it! I power cycled the modem as you said, then restarted the computer, and now everything's fine. I feel like the guy who thinks his car needs a major repair when he's actually just out of gas.

Now I'm having problems updating my OS, but I'll put that in another thread. Thanks, everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.