Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidnssbm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
this may seem like a silly question since everyone uses wireless, but how do I switch my imac to use ethernet? under system preferences > network, it says both wireless AND ethernet are connected.

Do I have to disable wireless to only use ethernet?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Click the AirPort icon in the Menu Bar and select "Turn AirPort off".

picture1.png

Or go to System Preferences > Network > AirPort and click the "Turn AirPort off" button.

wireless_install_os5x_network_4.jpg

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Also, if you click the little gear at the bottom of the list you can "Set Service Order" (at least in 10.5.8) so you can put Ethernet first. Then if you forget to turn Airport off, but have a cable plugged in it should try to connect through the cable before moving down the list.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Also, if you click the little gear at the bottom of the list you can "Set Service Order" (at least in 10.5.8) so you can put Ethernet first. Then if you forget to turn Airport off, but have a cable plugged in it should try to connect through the cable before moving down the list.

That's a cool tidbit I didn't know about. Thanks!

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
this may seem like a silly question since everyone uses wireless, but how do I switch my imac to use ethernet? under system preferences > network, it says both wireless AND ethernet are connected.

Do I have to disable wireless to only use ethernet?

On the contrary, I would think that on a desktop (which is stationary) most people would use ethernet instead of WiFi. There's no worry about interference and ethernet is much faster.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
There's no worry about interference and ethernet is much faster.

Wireless G is faster than most internet connections, and N is faster than any internet connection I know of. So unless you're transferring files from computer to computer, which the average user doesn't do, wireless is more convenient and not necessarily slower than ethernet.

I don't disagree with you, just saying a lot of users don't think that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.