How to use "Extended network" with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by c073186, Nov 16, 2012.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Here is my situation: I have a wireless router that came along with my cable modem. I would like to have the cable model/router in one room, and then have my Time Capsule connect to that and extend the network. I then want to connect my Mac to Time Capsule. Is this an easy thing to do? I couldn't figure out how I would connect the Time Capsule to the cable provider's modem.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If you cable modem supports Wireless Distribution System (WDS) you should be able to extend it wirelessly. But not many home modems support WDS.

But the other option is to connect the TC via ethernet cable, set it up in bridge mode, and let it provide an additional wireless network in that part of the house.

In my set up, I have the modem and TC located centrally in the house. So the modem wireless is disabled (only 2.4ghz capable), TC connects to it via ethernet, and the TC provides dual-band wireless network for the house.

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, what I would like to do is have the Time Capsule in a separate room, and then attach a network printer to the TC. So I would need to have my modem's wireless on, and then have the TC connect to that, and my computers to the TC.

However I just spent an hour trying to get that to work and it does not seem to want to connect... I suspect because my modem's router does not support it (it's a b/g only router).

So are there any other options or would I just have to connect the TC by ethernet to the modem's router and then turn off the modem's wireless?

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

So let the modem and TC generate two networks. You can tell your devices to join either as long as your devices know the passwords both networks.