How to Use External Hard Drive for MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raveonpragha, Apr 26, 2009.

1. raveonpragha macrumors newbie

raveonpragha

Hi, i have a MBP 1.5.6 as u know the hd capacity for this version is 120 Gb, i dont have enough space anymore and i wosh to install the new upgrades for Logic Pro and install Final Cut Studio, this would require more than 60 gb of my HD, a genius suggested me to use my WD external hard drive that i already own, but i don´t understand how can i use an external HD as an aditional paralel memory to my Mac, i just knew i can use it to store information but not fo working with it as a aditional HD memory!:eek:
    Could somebody explain how to do so?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The Final Cut Studio installer should allow you to select where to install the software. Just tell it to install to your external hard drive.

3. raveonpragha thread starter macrumors newbie

raveonpragha

It didn´t work this is what it shows:
    [​IMG]
    :(:(:(

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's because your external is claimed by Time Machine. You'll have to partition it before you can install FCP on it.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Actually, from the error message, it sounds like it can't be installed on an external drive or non-system partition at all. :confused:

I suppose it makes sense, since most of the bulk of Final Cut Studio actually ends up in /Library.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hmm yeah. After some searching, these two threads seem to say you can't install the application itself on an external, but you can move the files it uses there.

7. raveonpragha thread starter macrumors newbie

raveonpragha

Well i think i will just have to install aditional memory to my Mac, anyway, thank you so much for your help guys i really appreciate it!;)