How to use external LCD monitor help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illest-one, May 11, 2008.

1. illest-one macrumors newbie

How to use external lcd monitor as main while running window's xp on my MBP. As of right now, i have to leave my Mbp open and my external monitor as the secondary. As soon as i close it, the Mbp goes to sleep in windows. While on Leopard, its all good.

Any suggestion?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I think you may have to leave the MBP open, but there is a way to make the external LCD the main and only monitor. Do you have an ATI or Nvida graphics card? Do it through their settings panel.

3. illest-one thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried going into the setting but there isn't any option to switch it to main.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Well which card do you have? I;ve done it on my Nvidia.

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

You can right click on desktop>properties>nVidia Control panel.

From there, you should go to configure displays, and select your external one under the "Use this monitor" drop down box.

You will have to leave your MBP screen open, but the display will be off.

6. illest-one thread starter macrumors newbie

hey it works.

i was able to make my external monitor as the main, but as soon as i closed my latop, my mbp went to sleep. if i was running leopard, i was able to use my main monitor even when my mbp was in the closed position.

any other advice?

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

What do you mean you used your external as main? You had the start menu on the external natively? (not talking about moving the start bar) I had trouble making my 22" external the main screen. It just would not let me designate the external as primary and the MBP's as secondary.

Go into the Energy Saver preferences. It should give you an option what to do when you close the lid.

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, you can use an external monitor as the main screen. OP, I don't think you will be able to use it closed in Windows, at least not without some program. I know OS X lets you do it.

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

But can you make the external the primary and the MBP the secondary? I can't seem to get it like that. I know you can have the external as the main screen but you can't use the MBP's.