How to use external USB wireless instead of airport?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lavrishevo, May 28, 2008.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

So I have a Ralink USB wireless card the I was using to play with Kismac which is able to see it and interact fine. The issue I run into is the poor performance of the internal airport with networks that are not real strong signal on the MBP. I have not found a way to use the USB card instead of the airport for Leopard to see and join networks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Come on people... Nobody using USB wireless cards?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go to Network Pref, select Airport and turn it off.

4. GRN99EX macrumors member

I have a Sierra Wireless Express Card through Sprint. I don't use Airport when I am using the wireless card. It came preloaded with Sierra Wireless Watcher software for a Mac. Works pretty well when I can get an EVDO signal. Check to see if there is a similar software that you should run when using your USB card.

Hope that helps a little bit.

-Sean

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I guess what it boils down to is drivers, or the lack there of. I know the cell phone wireless networks cards come with drivers but seems most of the 802.11 b/g USB card do not provide drivers for Mac. Ahh well. To bad OS/X does not interact with these simple little cards. If if Kismac can see it you would think Leopard would be able to see it as well.

6. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I guess what it boils down to is drivers, or the lack there of. I know the cell phone wireless networks cards come with drivers but seems most of the 802.11 b/g USB card do not provide drivers for Mac. Ahh well. To bad OS/X does not interact with these simple little cards. If if Kismac can see it you would think Leopard would be able to see it as well. Also the reply to just turn off the Airport is pretty....:rolleyes:

7. bigfatdummy macrumors newbie

bigfatdummy

Yes, you can use an external USB wireless rather than the internal. I have the hawking HWUG1A USB Wireless. I got it to use with an external antenna, (a can antenna). I use at my vacation condo, the lodge across the way has free open wireless for the condos and lodge but the signal is weak. With an external antenna I pick it up at 3 or 4 bars consistently.

I have tried many other USB wireless devices and drivers have been a big problem. Most do not have any drivers included for mac. You can find 3rd party drivers out there but tbh I haven't had luck with any of them. The HWUG1A has the correct drivers and it works great.