How to use Fan Control for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by celticpride678, Jul 18, 2009.

1. celticpride678

I am using smcFan Control and it is not doing what I need it to do. I came across Fan Control for Mac and have a few questions as it looks like a different UI.

Here they are:

1. Base Speed is the base speed of the fans in the notebook, right? Can they get higher automatically or do I need to switch it manually?

2. What is the Lower Threshold option? Is it what I want the temperature to be or what it is currently?

3. What is the Upper Threshold option? Is it what I want the temperature to be or what it is currently?

Thanks for the help!

2. johndoe588 macrumors regular

I've been using Fan Control for a few months now and it does keep my 17" MBP cooler by spinning up the fans sooner when necessary. Left on it's own my MBP will go to 90 degrees C before the fans come off idle. I don't like that.

Base speed seems to be the idle speed of the fans. Mine is set to 1800 but the fans idle around 2000 anyway. Lower threshold is where you want the fans to start speeding up. Mine is set to 50. Upper threshold is the maximum temperature you would want to see, or where the fans would be running their fastest. Mine is 80.

I'm no expert but that's how it seems to work for me. Give it a try.

John B