How to use GMail on Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DennisMadsen, Oct 24, 2010.

1. DennisMadsen macrumors regular

I bought a MacBook Pro for a month ago. Generally I'm very happy with my new device, but I'm not really satisfying with the way I'm using my GMail right now.

First of all, I do really like the GMail Offline feature since it speeds up the work with my inbox. Sadly it's not implemented for either Chrome or Firefox for Mac. Right now I'm using the Fluid to gives me a separate App for my GMail. But again, the Offline feature is not available. Since I further like to get a Growl-notification when receiving an email, I have installed Google Notifier.

How are you people using your GMail / Google Apps on your Mac? I prefer the online webmail instead of using IMAP.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I use Mail.app, but I've heard good things about Sparrow as well.

3. frankieboy macrumors regular

I use Google Chrome, current developer release. When I used to run Safari/Leopard, I didn't care for the disk space usage of the Gmail offline thing with Gears, and Chrome is pretty fast without it with Gmail.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I simply have GMail set up as another account in Thunderbird.

5. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

When using a IMAP client, I'm really missing some of the nice features in the GMail. Very quick searching in all mails, threaded mails etc.

6. Sweetmate macrumors newbie

Mail.app's search is much faster than using the gmail webmail interface. It also has threaded conversation view but I don't know how good it is as I never use it.

7. Matty-p macrumors regular

me too

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could also try PostBox. I think it has threaded views. I've also never had an issue with the speed of searching for Mail inside the application.

9. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Using Thunderbird as my IMAP client, I have full use of the threaded view and searching is quick and easy. I especially like the search results pane in TB3.

I can't comment on threaded view in the GMail account, as I simply don't use it for purposes that would create a threaded conversation as such, but I can't imagine why it would be any different to my other IMAP accounts (others may know why and chip in here).