Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Have you watched his video?
yep, have you? Pay particular attention to what he says around 5:00 minutes on about this not reflecting itself in short term benchmark tests, but it is more designed to impact when you are doing long-term graphic intensive tasks like rendering 8k videos. so to summarize, he said it will not impact benchmarks, virtually at all, but will help for long flat out intensive sessions. I think I paraphrased him adequately

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
The Mac pro is a great computer though I’m in the same boat wondering whether to make the change to this laptop for music and editing and sell the Mac Pro before the prices really start to plummet when the updated version comes out.

I do feel like the resale prices for the 2019 Mac Pro will remain pretty good for a while. Im thinking a lot of professionals will be staying in X86 land for a while yet.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Can't this be done automatically, then it could be said that it "just works" no need to micro manage settings
isn't the answer essentially yes? If you feel more comfortable turning the settings on to maximize cooling for long term video renderings of 8k (as the feature explains), then, turn it on for sustained fan speed, but otherwise the fans come on when they need to come on and turn off when they are not needed. Also there is some user discretion here because it also says it prioritizes some high power functions. If you read between the lines, that would say that if you keep using the computer for watching YouTube videos, it would allocate resources thusly.

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
That's weird, on macOS System Preferences there's a Battery option and inside it there's another Battery option (on the left sidebar, just above Power Adapter).

Just like on the Apple TV device there's an app called Apple TV.

Who is the genius who designs these things?

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Apple should've added a turbo button the the Macbook Pro. With a little LED to indicate the speed boost.

View attachment 1882349
Funny thing about that turbo button on those old dos computers… it made them run slower for backward compatibility, games that set there speed based on clock speed, woukd run too fast on these new machines. Turning on turbo mode would slow them down.

Reactions: velocityg4

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
I do feel like the resale prices for the 2019 Mac Pro will remain pretty good for a while. Im thinking a lot of professionals will be staying in X86 land for a while yet.
Yeah maybe. I have the max pro arriving on Monday. Will check performance against the Mac Pro and how well my daw runs on Rosetta with all my plugins and make a decision then.

Reactions: R3k

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
That's weird, on macOS System Preferences there's a Battery option and inside it there's another Battery option (on the left sidebar, just above Power Adapter).

Just like on the Apple TV device there's an app called Apple TV.

Who is the genius who designs these things?

Inside of the app called Apple TV there are Apple TV shows, so one could correctly say they are watching Apple TV in Apple TV on an Apple TV. 😁

Now just imagine when Apple gets around to doing a show about Apple TV- something like In the AppleTV writers room or behind the scenes at AppleTV.

And if the long-rumored Apple Television ever shows up...

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Inside of the app called Apple TV there are Apple TV shows, so one could correctly say they are watching Apple TV in Apple TV on an Apple TV. 😁

Now just imagine when Apple gets around to doing a show about Apple TV- something like In the AppleTV writers room or behind the scenes at AppleTV.
That's like gettin' the boot for puttin' boots in the boot.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
if you read the articles, you might know that it is a power delivery issue. The 14 is limited in power delivery, thus can not add the extra power to sustain the high power mode
Yeah. I just thought with such a low power draw maybe I could get a 50% discount on the power mode.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Too much and it’s not suitable for a professional audio mixing environment. Ok, truth be told I’m trying to justify my 2019 Mac Pro purchase, lol. It’s nearly silent.
This would also be nearly silent for audio. Turning it on likely wouldn’t even make the fans spin up as you wouldn’t be using the parts of the chip that would be cause enough heat. ;)

vivid.gear71

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
I have been testing this mode with 16" Max/64/4TB using Geekbench and noticed score is a bit lower than automatic option. Tested several times and got same results. Anyone seeing this issue ?

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I have it turned on and noticed no difference in performance, or fans, either way. It’s either broken, it does nothing, or I’m not using it right 😂

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Geekbench will definitely not show a difference. Try encoding a 1hr 4K prores clip with filters and effects. That should give you an idea of if it’s doing anything.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
Does this have any affect on CPU-intensive tasks, or only GPU-intensive tasks? I work in audio, not video.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I have it turned on and noticed no difference in performance, or fans, either way. It’s either broken, it does nothing, or I’m not using it right 😂
How about it does nothing BECAUSE you’re not doing it right 😂 Basically, it allows an extended acceleration (darn the power efficiency) of image based operations. If the CPU’s not doing any massive image based operations, then it’s business as usual.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Does this have any affect on CPU-intensive tasks, or only GPU-intensive tasks? I work in audio, not video.
From the description, looks like just GPU-intensive tasks, specifically those called on for rendering large files or doing graphically intensive tasks. Turning this on won’t get you any extra tracks in Logic or any additional instruments or effect instances.

randyoo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Ran a Lightroom Classic export of about 1300 images in "Auto" mode, and again in "High Power" mode. Both runs took about 20 minutes, without a discernible difference--possibly ran about 5 seconds faster in "High Power". It seems to be a fully CPU intensive task, and might not be making use of GPU cores. So for this particular use case, it didn't seem to achieve a marked improvement.

Reactions: profcutter

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Ran a Lightroom Classic export of about 1300 images in "Auto" mode, and again in "High Power" mode. Both runs took about 20 minutes, without a discernible difference--possibly ran about 5 seconds faster in "High Power". It seems to be a fully CPU intensive task, and might not be making use of GPU cores. So for this particular use case, it didn't seem to achieve a marked improvement.
How large were the images? Since Apple mentions color grading 8K ProRes video, which would be thousands upon thousands of large files, 1300 might not even tickle the system :)

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
LR barely utilizes GPU cores even on a decked out Mac Pro, it is just the way it is coded. In the case of an M1 Max MBP, if the LR export task only stresses out CPU cores while not doing much on the GPU cores, it means the TDP of the SoC is not being fully requested, thus not stepping into the territory where "High Power Mode" makes a difference (which I think are power budget and heat dissension efficiency).

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
How large were the images? Since Apple mentions color grading 8K ProRes video, which would be thousands upon thousands of large files, 1300 might not even tickle the system :)
I have a base 14" and did a test project with Nikon D850 14-bit RAW (45MP), culling / development / preview generation / export pretty much all tasks simply demand full CPU cores, whereas the GPU cores are only needed in develop module doing adjustments that need to draw screen. IStat Menus report CPU utilization being 600%+ at all times and GPU is like 25% or less.

The way the M1 Max SoC is designed, the CPU core is hardly different from the base M1 Pro, the extra silicon are almost all graphic / video related. So yes it will take a CPU+GPU bound task for High Power Mode to be meaningfully different.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Maybe some 8K video with realtime effects could do the trick. Maybe Aftereffects previews? Or is it that we think only 3d renders like Blender could force the GPUs to ramp up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.