Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
Since upgrading to Bir Sur I've noticed the iCloud integration with Desktop & Documents. Without actually considering it, yet knowing it's probably useful, I've been ignoring it until now.

I'm finding myself now realizing I need to be on a certain computer because thats where I was working on something, and I'm realizing this is probably what the iCloud integration is specifically for. It should be simple enough and yet I'm a bit confused.

This Apple Help page states "If you add a second Mac Desktop, you can find those files in the Desktop folder in iCloud Drive. Look for a folder with the same name as your second Mac.".

So does that mean iCloud is intended to store each computer's files separately from each other? I was thinking (hoping) that they keep both computers completed sync together so whatever I see on one I see on the other? I guess by combining folders. Is this not the case? If this is not the case, is it because of the conflicts that would occur if I change a file on one but am not on Wifi, and then work on the other computer without that file having been sync?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Since upgrading to Bir Sur I've noticed the iCloud integration with Desktop & Documents. Without actually considering it, yet knowing it's probably useful, I've been ignoring it until now.

I'm finding myself now realizing I need to be on a certain computer because thats where I was working on something, and I'm realizing this is probably what the iCloud integration is specifically for. It should be simple enough and yet I'm a bit confused.

This Apple Help page states "If you add a second Mac Desktop, you can find those files in the Desktop folder in iCloud Drive. Look for a folder with the same name as your second Mac.".

So does that mean iCloud is intended to store each computer's files separately from each other? I was thinking (hoping) that they keep both computers completed sync together so whatever I see on one I see on the other? I guess by combining folders. Is this not the case? If this is not the case, is it because of the conflicts that would occur if I change a file on one but am not on Wifi, and then work on the other computer without that file having been sync?
I’ve got it enabled on my iMac and MacBook Pro, they are merged not separated by devices.

Reactions: rawdawg

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
This Apple Help page states "If you add a second Mac Desktop, you can find those files in the Desktop folder in iCloud Drive. Look for a folder with the same name as your second Mac."
What that means is, when you first add that second Mac, rather than merge the contents of the two Desktops, it creates a second Desktop folder on the main Desktop. That way, if you want to keep things separate you can. If you want to, you can move files from that second Desktop folder into the main Desktop.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
iCloud documents works well for me and seems to be as you were expecting, with a single merged documents folder synchronised across devices.

Reactions: rawdawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.