How to use internal drive to..

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Loke2112, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Loke2112, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019

Loke2112 macrumors regular

Loke2112

Back up my photos and video as as apposed to using iCloud? I use an external SSD as my boot drive and the internal HD is empty. I don’t want to screw it up and would like to know any pros and cons if possible. I am guessing I will no longer have pictures automatically show up on the iMac and iPad is that correct? Any help would be appreciated Google sucks for me lately!!

2. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

3. mj_ macrumors 6502a

mj_

First of all, cloud storage is not a backup. Unless it's specifically designed to be, which iCloud is not.
    Second, I don't actually fully understand how using your internal hard drive as backup location would affect iCloud photo sharing.

4. mikzn, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019

mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

I use Photos to download (each sync) all pictures from cameras, phones, iPad Pro, etc (library can be on what ever drive you wish)

So all pictures are in one library, well 3 libraries in my case - 1)Work, 2) Hiking, 3) Family and Personal

I have almost 20 years of photos so back up is important for me and I use Carbon Copy Cloner CCC to back up weekly to 2 separate drives several days apart - just in case a back up goes wrong. I can revert the other back up.

CCC is great to set up scheduled back ups and if the external drive is not connected (in my case it sussually isn't) then CCC sends an alert to connect the drive and it automatically starts the back up as soon as the drive is connected

Carbon Copy Cloner is worth every cent for back up! IMHO

5. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Ok good about the sharing. And yes I should have clarified as I would prefer to store my photos on the internal drive to save the monthly fee. Now I just need to figure out the steps to take.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 25, 2019 ---
    Very cool and informative thank you. If you know any good links to help get that set up as far as transferring the photos/videos to my internal drive I would appreciate it. Curious why CCC is plus, in my case, buying another drive is a better alternative to iCloud?

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Questions:

How large is the external SSD?
    How much space is currently being used on it?

How large is the internal SSD?
    How much space is currently being used on it?

My best advice:
    Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the contents of the SSD to the internal drive.

Now the INTERNAL drive becomes "your backup" -- because your PRIMARY drive is the external SSD.

If anything ever goes wrong with the SSD, with a cloned bootable backup on the internal drive, you can be "back up and running again in about 90 seconds.

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68040

"Backup" means there's an original somewhere as well. Do you have them on your external boot drive?

If you're using iCloud Photos currently, the cloud is your primary storage, not a backup. If Photos > Preferences > iCloud > Download Originals to this Mac is selected, then you could consider the Photos library stored on your HD to be a "backup." If "Optimize Storage" is selected, you do not have locally-stored full-quality copies of all your images.

To withdraw from iCloud Photos you first need to be sure full-quality images are on your HD. They will already be there if you're set to "Download Originals to this Mac." Just turn off iCloud Photos.

If you're currently set to "Optimize Storage," switch to "Download Originals to this Mac" and then wait until Photos finishes updating. Then you can turn off iCloud Photos on the Mac.

That will leave you with one copy of your photos on your HD. To have a proper backup, you'll need to back that up with your favorite backup method (Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, a cloud-based backup service...).

If you aren't already making a regular backup of the entire external boot drive, do it! External drives are more susceptible to file system errors than internal drives due to the fact that you're dependent on that thin, exposed external wire - if the wire became even momentarily disconnected during a write, you may end up with file damage.

Most folks wouldn't consider an internal drive as a "backup" as accessing that drive should its "enclosure" fail can be difficult. Externals are preferred as they can easily be moved to another computer.

8. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Thank you for the response. I WILL answer your questions. In the meantime after I reinstalled Mojave from my USB I now have 2 BOOT drives even though I only have one connected. Any idea why that is?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 28, 2019 ---

Thank you, all very good information. Let me study it and hope for an answer to my new issue and I will reply.

Attached Files:

9. Fishrrman, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

It looks to me like the image in the post directly above this one is what one sees when one mounts a drive with the Catalina OS on a Mac running Mojave...

10. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

I tried the beta over an UN clean majave and it wasn’t stable enough for me. I thought I erased the disk entirely. Should I just eject the one that says “data”? Thanks Fisherman!

11. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

You can't just erase "one" of the volumes if you installed Catalina and didn't like it.

You need to erase the entire drive and start over.

Mount the drive (with the two icons) on the desktop
    Open disk utility
    Go to the view menu and choose SHOW ALL DEVICES
    This shows you the physical drive you need to erase (topmost line).
    Now, erase that and start over.

12. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Thanks for the advice Fish.

13. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

This is my current scheme. The Photos Library.photoslibrary file gets backed up to Time Machine and also, once a month, to another drive that gets kept offsite.