Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is going to take a while to get used to. Most of the time I press the home button to wake my phone while it's flat on my desk, couch, bedside table, so it's still jumping to my home screen.
[doublepost=1473808043][/doublepost]Also, I thought these cards/widgets could be 3D Touched to be expanded/used. I 3D Touch calendar, etc and nothing happens, I can only normal press it which takes me to the app?
Do you want it to go to your home screen or you don't want it to do that?

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
I'd say the camera app slide is counter-intuitive, very apple unlike, as swipe to opposite way where controls are & on same sort of topic why in god's name with the super-duper laptop replacement devices we have can we not rotate a video in photos app?

Footpeg

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Connecticut
There is no way to get rid of the swipe camera on the lock screen. You can swipe the camera on,use it, and the phone is still locked. Duh. If you go to general restrictions and turn off the camera it will fix that, however, to use the apple or any camera accessing app you have to go to general, restrictions and re enable the camera. Maybe they will in an update allow another app to be used the the "swipe" position......

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
It seems like there should be some better options for older phones. Raise to wake seems like the focus, which makes sense. For phones that don't support it the press the home button option seems really awkward.

That's getting disabled like now.

I also wish there was some way to get to the passcode. TouchID doesn't work well when my finger is damp and so I just skip to the passcode. Now it seems failing a few times is the only option.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is no way to get rid of the swipe camera on the lock screen. You can swipe the camera on,use it, and the phone is still locked. Duh. If you go to general restrictions and turn off the camera it will fix that, however, to use the apple or any camera accessing app you have to go to general, restrictions and re enable the camera. Maybe they will in an update allow another app to be used the the "swipe" position......
It's been like that (not counting the direction of swipe) for a long time now, not that likely that it will change in that respect.

Ldq23

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
So did Apple get rid of the live wallpaper on the lock screen? That was a pretty sweet feature to me.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
The problem with the new lock screen now is that apparently anyone can reply to your messages without needing to unlock the phone and see the whole conversation...

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Am I missing something or is the only option to get inside an app via a Notification to 3D Touch it and then a normal touch? That's one step more than before.
For example CNN app sends me a news push notification and if I normal touch it, nothing happens....

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
I honestly hate using the 'press to unlock', I'd like an option to revert back to the 'slide to unlock' method.

What is frustrating me is that even after Touch ID 'unlocks' the phone, I'm often still asked to press home to unlock. This is an added step that, to me, serves no purpose (other than to annoy the user). Am I 'unlocking it wrong'?

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Love the press to unlock. Much easier one-handed on a 6s Plus.
[doublepost=1473858635][/doublepost]
Sooo.... any way to get slide-to-unlock back and disable this rise-to-wake feature that doesn't work 90% of the time? I couldn't care less about lock screen widgets, and if I have to use the phone left-handed (I don't have any finger prints of my left hand in the phone so I don't press the home button and unlock it while taking it out of my pocket meaning all my notifications are wiped from the lock screen) there's just no way to unlock the damn thing.

Honestly, how did Apple not come up with the same situation during testing?

Raise to wake has worked perfectly for me. 100%. Press to unlock is brilliant on a 6s plus one-handed. Seems like just adding your left thumb print would solve most of your problems except for the raise to wake thing.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
I also wish there was some way to get to the passcode. TouchID doesn't work well when my finger is damp and so I just skip to the passcode. Now it seems failing a few times is the only option.

It would be a very good option to have when the screen is covered up (in an armband during a workout, for example).

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
What is frustrating me is that even after Touch ID 'unlocks' the phone, I'm often still asked to press home to unlock. This is an added step that, to me, serves no purpose (other than to annoy the user). Am I 'unlocking it wrong'?

That confused me at first too. Touch ID without a press allows you to access the widgets with a slide to the right, and the camera with the slide to the left (with photo access - a locked swipe to the left will still get you access to the camera, but you won't be able to access photos). For me, this "half-unlocked" mode is sufficient for a lot of the things that I would do on the phone. Fully unlocking just requires a press, and I prefer this over slide to unlock when using the phone one-handed.

Once you get used to it I really think you will come to see it as a feature, which it is.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
Just wait until reports start flying in on broken/weak/worn Home buttons... I couldn't care less about the damn notifications. We really should've gotten an option.

In those cases please activate AssistiveTouch and use the virtual home button as a workaround until the hardware issue is resolved

tweeder0188

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
I see, thank you for offering a solution. :)

Everyone is talking about the home button logon and i'm just sitting here wondering what ever happened to the dark mode that everyone was so excited about. It seems it just disappeared and no one even mentioned it after updating. That's what I was looking forward to the most honestly

Reactions: Regbial

commanderclif

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Florida
As a lefty, I'm mainly holding the phone in the my right hand and find the lock screen easier to right to left slide than left to right. So getting to my camera from the lock screen is a little bit easier than to the widget screen. If it exists, I can't find it but it would be nice to have an option to flip which side each of these is on for lefty- righty- users.

BlackEagleGermany

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
i really hate the psuh notification and widget Window Colour !!!

Can i change the colour from grey to maybe black background with white font ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.