How to use iPhone 3G on new MacBook after switching from PC?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Turbunator92, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Turbunator92 macrumors member

Hi,

i have recentley pruchased a new MacBook Aluminum 2.0 Ghz and need help on how to:

1) Transfer my ENTIRE iTunes library from my old PC to the new MacBook

2) Use the iTunes in my MacBook to sync to the iPhone 3G

Is there a way to do this without wiping all the data on my iPhone, or will i have to transfer EVERYTHING across and then sync my iPhone to the new Mac (When the iPhone is connected to a different iTunes a pop-up window appears saying simething along the lines of 'This iPhone is synced with another iTunes library... Erase and sync)

Also, by erasing the iPhone and syncing with my MacBook's iTunes library, will i lose all my pictures, texts, emails, contact details etc.?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I think you can copy the itunes music folder from the PC to the Mac. That's how you would do it going from one Mac to another, but not sure if the file formats are different enough to preclude that method.

As for the iphone, I think your best bet is to move all of your data from the PC to Mac and then sync the iphone. I don't really think you can use the data on your iphone as a base for syncing with a new computer.

3. Turbunator92 thread starter macrumors member

when i 'erase and sync' with the new MacBook library, are just the music and videos replaced or are the photos, contacts, apps replaced as well? will i lose my settings on the iphone like messages, calender entries, emails etc.????

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I went from a Dell to the new MB and I also have an iPhone.. I had no problems.
    I used "Senuti" (i think thats what it was called), It let me transfer all my music/video from my iPod to my new Mac.

If you use a program like i did, it should take everything off your iPod/Phone and put it on your new Mac..
    If you need more help feel free to PM me.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 on Senuti. I've used it on several occasions for my iPods, iPhones and Macs and it works flawlessly...:cool:

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yep.
    Someone recommended it to me when i first got my mac. It worked perfect and was really easy..

OP, I think this would be your best bet! Senuti

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

First, I'd like to thank the OP for starting this thread as I've had this very same question burning in my mind since I purchased my Alu MB.

Second, thanks to all that recommended Senuti. I was worried I'd have to lose all of my prefs and apps on my iPhone, or worse yet have to eternally use my PC to sync. I knew I keep coming back to MR for a reason :p

8. crom8i3 macrumors newbie

for me personally, i don't really care about moving my music over right now...i don't have a lot of it on my phone anyway. i'm just wondering if i can just log into itunes on my new macbook, sync my iphone and not lose all my contacts and other data? i don't want to sync and lose all my data....

thanks...

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

are you coming from a pc or a older mac?

10. Turbunator92 thread starter macrumors member

a big thanks to everyone for all their help!

ok, once i have transferred my music and videos to the new mac, can i just sync the iPhone straight away or do i replace the music on the iPhone with the new library (which is the same anyway)?

the big question is whether my photos and other settings remain safe - will they be erased as well when I 'Erase and sync' with the Mac's iTunes library???

11. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

When i did this i made a folder for iPhone pics, Then i just chose to sync that folder with my iPhone. Everything worked out fine

12. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Second on Senuti...I'm a complete idiot and it worked great. Quite easy.

13. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Best option for me has always been iTunes built in back-up. It also ensures that you have a back-up of you iTunes library in case anything happens. You will need several DVD's depending on how large your iTunes library is. Just click File>Library>Back Up to Disc. In the future you should be able to back-up only new files rather than doing the whole process over again.

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

ummm or you could do a time machine back up!?

15. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Well, I meant it is an easy option to use when moving from PC to MAC. Which is part of what the OP asked..

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Oh i got ya! I misunderstood. I thought you were suggestion this is a way to keep your iTunes backed up. You were just referring to making the switch! Im sorry!

;)

17. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I'm about to be switching too. However, I am in a little different scenario.

I have a 320 GB external hard drive with all my media on it (250 GB or so used). I am currently running a PC with iTunes synced to all that media.

If I have the iTunes file (forgot the specific extension name), and the media, will it flawlessly move to everything on the Mac as it is on the PC? That is, all movies, TV Shows, music, etc, ALL in their right places?

I went through sheer hell when having to name and organize all my TV Shows when I added them (which went to the Movies section and needed to be moved), and Japanese music with messed up IDE Tags.

My main concern is I need to know if all this tagging and organizing will be a smooth procedure when resyncing all my iTunes media from a PC to a Mac using the same external hard drive. Ideas?

18. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

You should be fine. Everything should hold its info from iTunes.

19. crom8i3 macrumors newbie

i'm coming from a pc.

what about photo's? i'm fine with erasing the synced folders because i can easily swap my all my files over to my mac and sync it later. what about the photo's i take with my phone? would they be safe along with my contacts and texts and etc?

20. Turbunator92 thread starter macrumors member

so having transferred the music and and videos on my iPhone to the new MacBook; I would then plug it in and open up iTunes. When it says 'This iPhone is synced with another computer...' do i click 'Erase and sync' so it syncs with the iTunes library on the Mac (which is the same anyway)

does this mean that all my other data is also erased like photos, contacts, messages, calender entries etc.? or is it only the music and videos that are replaced?

please respond soon!!

any help is greatly appreciated

21. Turbunator92 thread starter macrumors member

22. Jay S. macrumors newbie

The easiest way is to
    1. have itunes consolidate your library on your pc
    2. copy the entire itunes music folder(not the one under program files the one under my music usually) onto an external HD
    3. Replace the itunes folder on your mac with the folder from your PC

If you do it this way when you open itunes it will believe you are using the same library and you will not be asked to erase. It will just sync and work as it did on your PC.