How to use iPhone 3gs without activating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arnezie, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I have an iPhone 3gs that I would like to use as an iPod and cant get past the (Activation request could not be completed if the problem persists contact customer care)
    It is running 6.1.3. I believe and I don't have a sim card in it

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Use a standard size AT&T sim card, either active or inactive. That should get you past activation.

Then remove the sim card and use the phone as an ipod.

3. Arnezie thread starter macrumors 65816

Arnezie

So I need to get a Sim card huh? dang that sucks ,,,

4. simply stunning macrumors regular

Not really. Just head down to ATT and ask for one. They should give you one for free. When they ask you if you want them to activate it tell them no. You just want the sim and that is all. Then pop it in, and once activated remove the sim.

----------

Went looking and here is what Apple has to say on the matter.

Using an iPhone without wireless service plan.

From reading this it looks like you can use an existing sim card too. So if someone you know has the correct sized sim you can put it in your phone to activate it, and then pop it back out and give it back to them? Not sure if this would do anything to their account, but if you have a friend or family member that already has an iPhone it should work just fine.

5. Arnezie thread starter macrumors 65816

Arnezie

At&t wants $25 for a sim card :mad:

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get one on ebay. They're about $1 or $2.
    Or you can use any friends sim for a minute to plug it to iTunes and activate it.
    It wont make any changes to the account, it will just get you into the home screen.

7. simply stunning macrumors regular

I have never been charged for a SIM card before. But they do ask for my account number when I go in. Since I have an account with them I'm sure that is why.

I agree with the above poster. Just borrow someone's sim. You only need it for a few minutes, and it won't effect their account at all.