How To Use MBP as Wireless Router

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I got a Samsun Blu Ray player and don't want to run an ethernet cable across my house to connect it to the internet.

So I thought I'd use my Mac, an ethernet cable, and the Blu Ray player to connect it through my WiFi.

I've already connected the Mac to the Blu Ray...I went into Sharing and allowed Internet Sharing from my Airport to my Ethernet...it's getting a connection but not connecting to the internet.

So it said something about a firewall...so I went into security and turned my firewall off and it still isn't working...it says something about the HTTP port being disabled?

Any ideas?

2. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

You are connecting the bluray and MBP directly via ethernet? You would need a crossover cable to do something like that (if that would even work in this situation). Both your bluray and MBP have the same pin order in their ethernet jacks and the cable would simply connect receive to receive and send to send. That's like trying to network 2 computers by just plugging an ethernet cable between them.

Part of what a router does, is assign connections between send to receive.

Does anyone know if a crossover cable could help OP accomplish the desired setup?

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

In general, you don't need crossover cables anymore between two computers, well, at least Macs, but I would guess that PCs are the same in this respect.

(Before anyone accuses me of lying: I have my MBA connected to my desktop here via a non-crossover LAN cable.)

As for the BluRay player, it might not be able to handle this automatically, so it is worth a try.

4. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Since the G3/G4 eras, Apple has used auto-switching ports on their computers. This means that you no longer need cross-over cables, regardless of what you're connecting to, as the Mac will simply recognize that it needs to flip the pins and will do so automatically.

jW

6. robert-a-hudson macrumors regular

Just wondering if there was a solution to this issue?

I have an MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 with a wifi connection sat next to my Sony Blu Ray player. I've connected them with an ethernet cable, enabled internet sharing, however I've had no luck with the Blu Ray player seeing the internet. Does anyone have any suggestions?