Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With iOS 10, Apple has focused on expanding 3D Touch functionality to make it more relevant to users, in the hope that they eventually come to see it as second nature. If you have an iPhone 6s or later, there are a wide range of 3D Touch gestures that you can test out in iOS 10, particularly from the home screen.

Here we've compiled a list of native app icons that now support 3D Touch, as well as a handful of other useful functions. Some of them will be more relevant to you than others, depending on your usage habits. You can find additional 3D Touch shortcuts for the Control Center and Widgets Panel in iOS 10 in our respective how-to guides.

Settings Icon

settings-3d-touch-action-800x380.jpg

Some of the most handy 3D Touch functions can be found by hard-pressing the Settings app icon, which allows you to access the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi screens to quickly connect to a wireless device or hotspot.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use Native 3D Touch Actions in iOS 10

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
3D Touch has become one of my favorite features over the course of the 6s. At first, I didn't really appreciate it. Now that third party applications are on board, I have really found the shortcuts a huge convenience.

Reactions: Keane16

j2004p

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
3D Touch is definitely one feature I'm looking forward to on the 7 coming from a 6

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Aren't these 3D touch functions just an indication that the app has become bloated to the point that the simple core functions can not be found easily on launch?

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
They should put those force touch links int he control centre where they would be much more useful.

That isn't so easy to do without eating up battery and won't be very user friendly.
[doublepost=1473886400][/doublepost]
Aren't these 3D touch functions just an indication that the app has become bloated to the point that the simple core functions can not be found easily on launch?

How so?

They are just shortcuts to jump to something within the app. Instead of opening the phone app and then selecting who I would like to call, I just force touch and select from my favorites.

Reactions: Keane16

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
3S Touch still feels like a gimmick to me. Most of the time it only saves a quarter or half a second. Hopefully it finds more uses soon.

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
3S Touch still feels like a gimmick to me. Most of the time it only saves a quarter or half a second. Hopefully it finds more uses soon.

If you want to see a unique use of 3D Touch then take a look at Poison Maps, which uses it to pan long distances. If you force touch the map then it zooms out (which is helpful in itself to see where you are looking at). If you press harder then it zooms out further. If you then move your finger over the area that you wish to pan to, and then let go, then it zooms into that new area. Moving near the edge of the screen whilst zoomed out causes the map to pan in that direction.

This gesture means that you can pan long distances with just one touch of one finger rather than the multi-finger gymnastics involved when pinching and swiping. It doesn't replace pinching and swiping, but is a handy shortcut for panning long distances.

The gesture would be useful for any app which currently uses pinching and swiping to handle a document that is bigger than the screen, such as viewing large webpages and PDFs, editing images etc.

Full disclosure: I wrote the app so I am biased!

Here's a video of it in action (contains narration):

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

It all adds up. I can get through a long list of emails way faster using 3D Touch than not. And app switch is much slicker for me.

Also this:

Resolves one of my day 1 iOS bugbears.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ummm... so now u can't tap notifications from Notification Center to take u to the app? You have to 3D Touch first, which some apps have actions and some don't. This is stupid.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Ummm... so now u can't tap notifications from Notification Center to take u to the app? You have to 3D Touch first, which some apps have actions and some don't. This is stupid.

You can still tap on noticificarions to take you to the app!

Yummy_Brains

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2016
England, United Kingdom
No, they're shortcuts to things so you don't have to wait for the app to load before you can select what you need. Why tap the camera and then scroll over to slo-mo when I can get straight into slo-mo from the home screen in one press?

thelof

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
3D Touch has become one of my favorite features over the course of the 6s. At first, I didn't really appreciate it. Now that third party applications are on board, I have really found the shortcuts a huge convenience.

I had to take a look at this when I was developing my own app to see what could work better or more usefully than what apple gave us to use. So far I came up with this and am still working on adding some features. I want to eventually add calling or messaging by concocts. While starting to develop for iOS I noticed a lot of holes when it came to customizability. I hope to find other ways to add value with this. Anyone have some ideas of things they would like to use with the 3D touch?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reaction-force-touch-shortcuts/id1168287391?mt=8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.