Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I have a home network that is Windows XP Based. There are 3 printers on this network, two large printers that are connected through the Ethernet network with two separate IP's as well as one printer connected via USB to the main (server) desktop.
I just bought my first Mac, a MacBook Pro. Eventually I probably will get a Mac Desktop as well to replace the main computer. These printers all work fine on the Windows XP laptop and desktops. How do I print to these from the Mac though? Is the Mac able to print to a USB printer connected to a Windows XP computer that is sharing the printer? Is it able to print to these two network printers? These printers all have Mac drivers so that isn't a problem but I have tried to get the Mac to add these printers but I can't get it to print. Any suggestions of how I can do this or any web links on how to do this?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Assuming your Windows-shared printer abides by these rules, then it should be a matter of following these steps to get it working. The network printers should be fine, assuming you've already installed the relevant drivers. :)

You say you've added the printers but can't print. What stage of the printing process does everything fall apart?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.