How to use non-universal binary VST's with Pro Tools? Rosetta?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Murdock, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Murdock macrumors newbie

Greetings!

I was one click away from buying FXpansions much recommended VST to RTAS converter when a thought struck me. I have one of the new and shiny iMacs and thus i can only use Universal Binary VST's(or anything for that matter). The main reason i was getting the FXpansion converter was that i wanted to use SSL's free Listen Mic Compressor, a VST effect. Sure enough, a quick survey of their site revealed they would not produce a UB version. Ouch...

My question now is is there anyway at all around having to use Universal Binary VST's with new intel systems? I've never used Rosetta for instance but if i have to run Pro Tools through it i don't think thats an option. Is it possible to use Rosetta simply on a plugin?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

seems a lot of effort to go through for one plug. have you played around with it on someone's system?

3. Murdock thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yeah i little. Thing is, plugins in general is just a little too expensive for me and even with fairly cheap software like VST to RTAS(99 bucks) i want to make sure i get alot of bang for my bucks. The Listen Mic is kinda worth it but i would definately want more for my dough and now that i realized this whole Universal Binary mess severly limits the huge amount of free VSTs out there it's become something of a deal breaker.

Scouring the FXpansion forums i've realized there is no solution to my probem. I had misinterpreted just how Rosetta works, didn't realize it always runs. You cannot run a non-UB VST in a host app that uses UB except if you make the host run through Rosetta.. which would kill performance. Too bad. :/

Oh well.. i'll prolly end up buying the converter anyway. Just need to find enough free VST's to warrant it.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

http://masseyplugins.com/

especially the $89 L2007. when i run out of hardware compression, this is what i use on parallels and subs.

the v3 EQ is pretty cool, too, when it's appropriate. sometimes, it'll save a snare. sometimes the frequencies are just all wrong.

5. Murdock thread starter macrumors newbie

Have the whole set already. Good stuff. :)

It's just a litte boring that there is so little free RTAS out there. I'm pretty sure i can't avoid buying at least a bare minimum of one good plugin bundle soon(one of digis factory bundles or Native power pack perhaps) but still, i would like a litte (free) diversity on top of that.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

more free ones would be good, yeah. but -- having bought the Bomb Factory platinum package before digi acquired BF, i'll say that i don't think they're that great. the moogerfooger stuff can be useful, but i really don't use any of those 1176's, LA-2A's, or pultecs much anymore.

i get much more mileage out of: massey, SoundToys (especially echoboy), and (somewhat surprisingly) Smack, which i got for cheap when i upgraded to PT7.

7. Murdock thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i've been hearing nothing but good things about Smack. I missed out on that upgrade deal of course because i didn't want to pay for the upgrade. Now i got an upgrade without the added plugins.. not as good a deal unfortunately.

I've come across alot of people being in love with the 1176 and LA-2A too however. I'll have to get some demos i guess...

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

L2007 is better, imho. or at least, i use it a lot more often.

i should probably describe how i use them: they're always used in parallel, and i usually EQ the heck out of the parallel track. e.g. i may parallel a drum sub, and use a pretty aggressive HPF to bring out the cymbal sheen. L2007 excels at this. with Smack, i may use it on guitar sub, band-pass, and pan it differently than the source guitars.

digi gives away BF1176, yes? it has its uses, but... it's no 1176. even my re-issue is friggin' magic.