How to use old hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 0hy3ah, Mar 16, 2011.

1. 0hy3ah macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the site, but not Macs. Although I have an ideal-just not sure how to go about it. I have my old 2007 Macbook that was dropped, there is just a few things I'd like to get out/off of it. I'm going to take out the hard drive and put it into a casing. But then what? How will I know if it's still good? I plan on doing this on my new Mac. I don't want to save/extract everything off the old hard hard drive. I've never used an external hard drive before-or backed up- (don't yell! I plan on doing that soon) ;) Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you put the drive in an external enclosure, you can simply connect it via USB or Firewire to your new Mac. Then you can simply drag any files/folders from the old drive to the new.

3. 0hy3ah thread starter macrumors newbie

Really that easy? There's a reason we love Macs! Thanks for the reply. One more question, what if the hard drive is damaged? How will I know I'm just not doing something wrong? WillI get a warning/message?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It may mount correctly, but some of the data may be corrupt. It may not mount at all. It depends on the degree of damage.

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

just to keep your options open you can always buy a USB SATA dock, imagine having an ipod dock for internal hard drives and they're about the same price as an enclosure.

If the drive is damaged there is still hope using data recovery software. Data Rescue is good

6. 0hy3ah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again. Just going to jump head first into it and see what happens.

7. 0hy3ah thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's been sitting for a year, decided to try my luck and see what I can do. Never done this Before! I'm just feeling adventurious! I like your ideal. Thanks!

8. sportster macrumors 6502

I repurpose old system hard drives or upgrade hard drive like that. Sometimes just end up giving away drive, not out much using cheap usb adapter cases from ebay...

9. 0hy3ah thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, didn' t know what I was looking for or needed but after some googling I found out what size and such. Got one off Amazon for under 5 bucks. Maybe make this my new Hobby!