How to use Old iphone as Wifi ipod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by axboi87, Jul 26, 2008.

1. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

I read an article saying that you could continue to use your old iphone as a wifi ipod, however once my 3G was activated the old iphone is back to the itunes activation screen. How do I get past this so I can just use it as a wifi ipod?

2. ogdogg macrumors 6502

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

4. axboi87 thread starter macrumors regular

axboi87

Jailbreak

Can you do this with the 2.0 firmware? Also, i can't seem to find a jailbreak app through google at all....

5. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

It's called Pwnage. You could follow one of the great guides already posted in this forum. Real easy.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I thought Apple/AT&T said that you could continue to use your old iPhone basically as a Touch after activating your 3G Phone. Surely they wouldn't say this if you had to jailbreak it...

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm pretty sure I saw a thread or two around here about people using their first gen iPhones as Wifi iPods, and no jailbreaking was involved. I think they said something about taking out the sim card?

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I didn't do anything to mine, just hook it up to iTunes and it works like an iPod now. I still have the old sim card in it, never had to remove it. You can do everything like you would with an iPod Touch, with 2.0 software installed on it. It's really too small for me to use for anything, but I figure I'll keep it as a backup incase my 3G dies an early death.

9. Usoandso macrumors member

Usoandso

My 1st gen iPhone never stopped working (other than the phone part) after i bought my new iPhone. I did just jailbreak it but you don't have to do it to keep using it as an iPod Touch.