How To Use Old Unibody MacBook as Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by McKean, Mar 18, 2010.

1. McKean macrumors newbie

I have a 13.3' Unibody MacBook (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, Bus Speed 1.07GHz running OS X 10.6.2) and want to use it in clamshell mode with an external monitor and keyboard. More precisely, I want to use an old Unibody MacBook as the keyboard and use its trackpad instead of a mouse.

Can this be done? How? How can I connect the old MacBook (serving as a keyboard only) to my new MacBook? USB? Bluetooth?

I don't need the old MacBook to do anything other than serve as a keyboard and trackpad. I'd like to rip off the old MacBook's screen as it's broken and I want to put the old MacBook on my keyboard tray to free up room on my desk.

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I don't think it was designed to be used in that fashion.

3. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

why would you use an old macbook trackpad/keyboard to control your new macbook?:confused:

4. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

or if you read it in context, old is being used in the relative sense....

6. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

7. McKean thread starter macrumors newbie

slm238: I really like the MacBook keyboard and trackpad and like don't really care much for any of the external keyboards or mice out there. I don't claim that this is the most sane / rational thing to do, I just want to see if I can get it to work.

dukebound85: Thank you. Maybe I should have said MacBook 1 and MacBook 2.

tonyburkhart: Thanks for suggesting the Adesso SlimTouch Wireless - That's what I'm looking for, but using the MacBook 13.3 case and multi-touch trackpad...

8. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

yeahh i see. what is wrong with your macs keyboard/trackpad? water damage?

9. McKean thread starter macrumors newbie

My MacBook's keyboard / trackpad are just fine - I use it at school every day. My end-state is a desk-top set-up for when I'm at home that uses my MacBook in clamshell mode with an external monitor (I don't have room on my desk for both my external monitor and laptop open) and the "old" MacBook (with its display essentially removed) serving as keyboard/trackpad on my pull-out keyboard tray underneath my desk.

10. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

any reason you dont get a dedicated kb and mouse though?

would be much simpler

12. McKean thread starter macrumors newbie

dukebound85: I understand that getting a off-the-shelf keyboard and mouse would be simpler, but I like the MacBook keyboard and trackpad set up and want to use it. My questions are whether or not it is possible to do this and, if so, what's the best way to achieve that end.

upaymeifixit: That's an interesting idea. I have no need for two Macs, I just want to use one MacBook keyboard/trackpad as a keyboard/trackpad, not as a computer in and of itself. Will Teleport work if the Mac I'm using as the keyboard/mouse doesn't have a screen?

13. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Teleport will work so long as the OS is running. You your new question should be, will my MacBook still work if the screen is not attached. From my experience with PCs it should. It will look ugly, and it's kind of a waste of a good computer, but it should work.

If I were you I would look into some other uses for that computer as well. That screen-less computer could still be controlled remotely by your other one to set up and maintain things. I would look for something to maybe wirelessly transmit your main (not keyboard) computer's audio to your older one so that you could just sit your laptop down and not have to plug an audio jack into it. This could be applied to all your wires.