how to use onyx

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mpossoff, Aug 2, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I've searched and found that onyx can be used to keep my mac running smooth and fast however I can't find any tutorial's on how to use it.

Can anyone shed some light on some basics?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You don't need anything to keep you Mac running the way it is. The UNIX under layer of Mac OS X will do everything for you. If you don't know how to properly use Onyx, stay away from it. You can easily make you Mac slower or unbootable.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No need. You simply install and run it and it leads you though the steps. If you are running Lion, I suggest you wait for Onyx to be updated before you run it on Lion. If you're running Snow Leopard or older, go ahead and take a look. There is nothing wrong with installing Onyx, running it and looking over the options. You don't have to actually do any of them. You can go research them one by one before you decide. I should mention that some tasks like emptying log files and deleting temp files are already handled automatically by OS X. Onyx just gives you the ability to do those things on demand rather than waiting for them to come up under the "normal" schedule.

4. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks this is our 1st Mac. It's about 1 1/2 years old and was given to us.